okara - For the last 15 days, cane-loaded trolleys have queued up outside the Baba Fareed Sugar Mills (BFSM) for sale of the produce. As a result, the local sugarcane farmers have been going through the worst time of their life.

The Okara-Faisalabad highway remained closed for traffic and jammed with cane-trolleys, two km in the north and 2 km south. The voice was raised by Tehsil president of PPP Rao Riazul Karim while talking to journalists. He said he visited the BFSM and met the farmers who said that majority of them were present there to receive their dues of cane-sale of the last year. The BFSM neither paid their dues nor seemed to have any intention to do so in their own interest, they said. The farmers had been running from pillar to post for their payment.

They demanded the Deputy Commissioner Okara take up the matter and get their dues cleared as early as possible. Besides, the BFSM administration had been delaying the cane purchase in its own interest to pressurise the farmers to sell their cane at lower rate than Rs180 per 40 kg. They demanded the authorities look into the matter and arrange for exact payment by the mills to the farmers.

Two narcotics dealers were nabbed and heavy quantity of liquor recovered. On s tip-off, the B Division police raided the General Bus Stand and arrested Iftikhar Ahamd of Kalu Block who was selling liquor and 15 liter liquor was recovered from his possession. The Saddar police raided a site under the bypass and arrested Mushtaq Ali Muslim Sheikh of Alipur colony with 30 liter liquor.


A man was captured while escaping after allegedly raping his niece. The 10 years old girl of Shakir Shah Colony works with a family as maid servant. She was was returning home in the darkness at Ratta Khanna Road. She was met by her real uncle Sarwar who companied her to her home. In the way at a deserted place, he forcibly overpowered her and committed rape. The girl raised hue and cry at which some people rushed to the site. Sarwar was captured while running from the spot and was handed over to the city police.