LAHORE – After denying treatment to the suffering humanity for almost three weeks, the Young Doctors Association (YDA) Punjab has announced to call off its strike and resume duties at OPDs and indoors of public sector hospitals across the province including the City from today (Monday).

The YDA Punjab General Council has also decided to devise future course of action after the judgment of the Lahore High Court on pending cases.

Addressing a press conference after general council meeting at Allama Iqbal Medical Auditorium on Sunday, YDA Punjab President Dr Hamid Butt and spokesman Dr Nasir Abbas vowed to continue struggle for revised service structure and rights of the medical community.

Dr Hamid Butt said saving lives of patients was first priority but the government forced the YDA to go on strike. He said the government should avoid doing injustice with doctors as it would force the YDA to fight for due rights. He demanded of the government to release the doctors and withdraw the baseless murder cases against them. He refuted allegations of harassing doctors who performed duties during strike, saying the YDA was the only representative body and the entire community was supporting it.

The intervention of Lahore High Court in the shape of its decision against ongoing strike ended standoff between the provincial government and the YDA, paving way for return of normalcy at the public sector hospitals. The 20-day long strike created inconvenience to the patients at OPDs and indoors that led to several incidents of exchanging harsh words between the healthcare providers and attendants of visiting patients.

The strike also caused cancellation of hundreds of scheduled and emergency surgeries on daily basis that enhanced agony of patients and their relatives. The YDA Punjab even gone to the extent of closing emergencies for few days that forced the government to seek help from Army and recruit hundreds of doctors on ad hoc basis to attend the ailing humanity. The government arrested the YDA men on the charges of provoking colleagues to go on strike but later released them after a meeting with medical teachers.