UNITED NATIONS (AFP/Reuters) - A contentious UN report blasting the Israeli military offensive in Gaza will be raised next week as part of a rescheduled Security Council debate on the Middle East, diplomats said Wednesday. The compromise move by a divided council was agreed in closed-door consultations following a Libyan request, backed by Arab, Islamic and nonaligned countries, for an emergency meeting to consider the UN report. The Geneva-based Human Rights Council has postponed until March 2010 its vote on the Goldstone report. In Washington, the State Department on Wednesday again backed a delay in the Human Rights Council vote on the contentious report. State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said such a delay could help contribute to creating an atmosphere favorable to dialogue after the reports release last month triggered an outcry. The report, released by an independent international fact-finding mission headed by former international war crimes prosecutor Richard Goldstone last month, accused Israel and Palestinian armed groups of committing war crimes during the three-week Gaza war that erupted December 27. The Goldstone panel asked the UN secretary general to bring its report to the attention of the UN Security Council for follow-up action, which could be a referral to the International Criminal Court. US deputy ambassador Alejandro Wolff told reporters that the 15-member Security Council agreed only to bring forward the regular monthly debate on the ME from October 20 to next Wednesday. We advanced the monthly debate on the Middle East from Oct 20 to 14, he told reporters. All delegations are free as they always are each month to raise whatever issue they think is pertinent to that issue. Wolff described the Goldstone report as flawed and noted: The right venue to discuss that is in Geneva and in the Human Rights Council. But Arab ambassadors made it clear that they planned to use next Wednesdays debate to turn the spotlight on the findings of the report, which was harshly critical of Israel. US Middle East envoy George Mitchell began a fresh trip to the region on Thursday aiming to push Israelis and Palestinians to agree to restart peace talks, but with few expecting a breakthrough. Meanwhile, Palestinian leaders on Thursday called for a one-day general strike and warned of more street protests over Jerusalem, but Israel played down the risk of an uprising despite two weeks of tension in the disputed city. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbass Fatah faction made the call for the strike on Friday in Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank, and Palestinian leaders warned of a battle ahead of Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque. Tensions rose two weeks ago when police and Palestinian protesters clashed near the al-Aqsa mosque. Israeli military police arrested Thursday a soldier accused of beating a Palestinian activist involved in regular protests against the West Bank separation barrier, an Israeli human rights group said. The impasse in the ME peace process is sending the region back into the darkness, Jordans King Abdullah II said in an interview with an Israeli daily, parts of which were published Thursday. Were sliding back into the darkness, Abdullah told the left-leaning Haaretz, which is due to run the entire interview on Friday. Israels foreign minister said on Thursday he would tell a visiting US Middle East envoy that there was no chance of reaching a comprehensive peace deal with the Palestinians for many years. Right-wing foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman is due to meet U.S. President Barack Obamas Middle East envoy, George Mitchell, in Jerusalem on Thursday to discuss, among other issues, the stalled peace process with the Palestinians.