SARGODHA/JHANG/CHINIOT - Flash flood continued wreaking devastation in Hafizabad, Sargodha, Chiniot and Jhang districts while reaching downstream Head Muhammadwala in Multan, sweeping away hundreds of houses, standing crops and rendered thousands of people homeless.

Floodwater swept away part of the road near Chak Chattha in Hafizabad. In the face of this alarming situation, Gujranwala-Hafizabad road has been closed and people have been asked to use Nowshehra Virkan Road as alternative route.

As many as 200 villages have been submerged in Tehsil Bhalwal, Bhera, Kot Momin and Shahpur in district Sargodha and left thousands of acres of land inundated. Army has been called in for aid of marooned people in several places.

In Jhang, high flood has spoiled everything here in Jhang. Hundreds of villages of the district are under water, dislocating thousands of people. It is being expected that 8,50000 cusecs water will reach Trimmu Headworks tonight. The district administration has completed all arrangements to save Trimmu Headworks, Jhang City, 18-Hazari city and Ahmedpur Sial. More than 80 percent population of 18-Hazari and surroundings have been sifted to safer places. Bombs have been planted in Atharan Hazari protective dyke to explode it to save Trimmu Headworks in case of emergency and to save dwellers of Jhang City and Saddr. The discharging capacity of Trimmu Headworks is 6,45000 cusecs while upcoming flood is more than 8,50000 cusecs. It is almost impossible for the administration to control high flood that therefore the district administration has decided to breach the Atharan Hazari protective dyke. Army troops are ready to face any difficult situation and are patrolling flood affected areas, shifting affectees to at safer places. They are using helicopters to shift people to relief camps. Police and Rescue 1122 officials are evacuating affectees. All district departments are alert to face any emergency and a flood control room has been established at DCO office which will work round the clock. Moreover, at least 18 flood relief camps have been established across the district of which eight flood relief camps have been set up in Tehsil Jhang, four in Tehsil Ahmedpur Sial, three in Atharan Hazari and three in Tehsil Shorkot.

Medical and veterinary dispensaries also have been set up at all the relief camps. The Punjab government has announced Rs100 million funds for the flood affectees of the district. The flood water is crossing Jhang-Sargodha Road and the road and Head Trimmu have been closed for all kind of traffic.

In Chiniot, thousands of people displaced from 140 villages as high flood of 841,000 cusecs passed through Chiniot in River Chenab on Monday. The flood has damaged thousands of houses, standing crops on thousands of acres of land in almost 140 villages along both sides of River Chenab. The floodwater also made its way to Chiniot-Sargodha Road near Ahmad Nigar village which was blocked for traffic by the administration.  Although, the administration had been making announcements for evacuation since last three days, people were not ready to leave their house before time. When the high flood wave reached this morning, most of people in adjoining villages could not get themselves rescued instantly and stranded in the flood. Although an Army helicopter and 21 boats were working to rescue people from these flood-hit areas, the number of stranded people is in thousands and could not be evacuated till filing of this report. Hundreds of people are still waiting for rescue in adjoining villages or trying to get out by walking through deep water along with their cattle.

Although government has set up nine relief camps for the affectees along with their cattle.

Meanwhile, DPO Abdul Qadir Qamar confirmed that about 125 villages had been affected while road access to some 30 villages had been disconnected as floodwater surrounded these villages.

He informed that police shifted some 3,000 people to safer places from the flood hit areas. He told that drowning of two children had been reported from Asian village which was yet to be confirmed.

The Chiniot DCO was available for comments on the situation.