LONDON- Newcastle United moved level on points with fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur as the battle for Champions League qualification from the Premier League intensified Monday.
Newcastle's 2-0 win over strugglers Bolton combined with Tottenham's 2-1 loss at home to Norwich left the Champions League rivals together on 59 points.
Chelsea, the lone English semi-finalist in this season's Champions League, can join Newcastle and Tottenham on 59 points if they win away to Fulham in Monday's late kick-off.
And the Blues will leapfrog the Magpies and Spurs into fourth place if they win by two goals or better. After a goalless first half at St James' Park, Hatem Ben Arfa gave Newcastle a sensational 73rd minute lead when he beat several Bolton defenders before slipping the ball into the corner.
In-form Senegal striker Papiss Demba Cisse, one of the signings of the season, then made it 10 goals in nine games when he turned in Shola Ameobi's cross from close range seven minutes from time.
Tottenham fell behind at White Hart Lane when Anthony Pilkington capitalised on a mix-up in the Spurs defence to fire the Canaries into a 13th minute lead. But England striker Jermain Defoe drew Tottenham level after the half-hour mark in controversial fashion.
Norwich appealed for a penalty when Spurs defender Ledley King appeared to grab hold of forward Grant Holt's shirt but play continued and the home side broke down the other end, with Jake Livermore setting up Defoe, who produced a cool finish.
However, the Canaries -- all but assured of safety following promotion from the Championship last season -- saw winger Elliott Bennett lash the ball past Brad Friedel as the Spurs defence backed off to make it 2-1 in the 66th minute. Everton warmed up for their FA Cup semi-final against Merseyside rivals Liverpool at Wembley on Saturday, by thrashing Sunderland 4-0 at Goodison Park.
All of the home side's goals came in a second half spree, with winger Magaye Gueye firing Everton ahead in the 52nd minute.
The Frenchman then turned provider as South Africa's Steven Pienaar sealed victory with a 75th minute shot from the edge of the box.
Barely 60 seconds later Leon Osman made it 3-0 before Nigerian striker Victor Anichebe added a fourth nine minutes from time, with Everton resting several players ahead of the Cup semi-final.