SRINAGAR (AFP) Thousands of residents defied a strict curfew in Indian-held Kashmir Friday prompting police to fire rubber bullets and lob tear gas as fresh attacks injured two policemen, officials said. In northern Baramulla town, over 4,000 residents flouted a curfew prompting police to fire rubber bullets, release teargas and swing batons, officers said, adding that nine policemen and 11 protesters were hurt in the ensuing clashes. Police and protesters also clashed in southern Kakpora town after hundreds of villagers defied the curfew and were blocked by police from marching on the main road, police said, adding that 12 policemen and eight protesters were injured. The clashes came even as Indian security forces widened a curfew in Kashmir on Friday to contain violent protests over the killing of civilians. We have widened the curfew to ensure a violence-free Friday, a police officer, who declined to be named, told AFP. Five more towns were placed under fresh curfew. Violent flashpoints such as Sopore, Srinagar and Anantnag remain restricted. In Sopore, suspected freedom fighters launched three gun and grenade attacks on security forces Friday that left a policeman and a paramilitary trooper injured, a police spokesman said. Indian police and paramilitary forces, who have been struggling to control the wave of protests in the Muslim-majority held valley, have been accused of killing 15 civilians in less than a month. Each death has sparked a new cycle of violence since the first killing of a 17-year old student by a police teargas shell during protests June 11 in Srinagar. Pro-freedom Kashmiri leaders urged residents to march to the regions revered shrine of Hazratbal in Srinagar on Friday. Two men and a woman were killed in the city on Tuesday. Whenever the curfew is relaxed in any of the areas, people are requested to come out on the streets and continue with a peaceful sit-in, a statement by the Kashmiri leaders said. Police had sealed all the roads leading to Hazratbal, but residents said dozens of locals prayed inside the lakeside mosque and later held noisy anti-government demonstrations. The Jamia Masjid, the main mosque in Srinagar, was among the many mosques worshippers were unable to attend for Friday prayers. The army was called in on Wednesday in Srinagar after residents defied curfew restrictions and held protests. Their presence brought calm to the streets. In northern Palhalan town, thousands of residents marched on the main road chanting: Blood for Blood and We Want Freedom, witnesses said. No local newspapers hit the stands for the second day running amid tight restrictions on the local and international media. Fresh passes allowing journalists to travel in Srinagar despite the curfew were issued Friday. Due to the curbs imposed by the government on media, Greater Kashmir and Kashmir Uzma could not bring out their print editions for second consecutive day, Friday, said the website of the two leading local newspapers. IHK Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, under pressure to contain the violence, held a meeting with top police and intelligence officials on Friday, a police source said. Top leaders in the ruling Congress party also met in New Delhi to be briefed by Home Minister P Chidambaram, Press Trust of Indian news agency reported.