ISLAMABAD - An accountability court has remanded Tauqir Sadiq, the fugitive former chief of the Oil and Gas Regularity Authority (Ogra), in NAB custody for 14 days.

Tauqir Sadiq‚ the prime accused in Rs 82 billion corruption scam‚ was presented in the accountability court on Tuesday. Appearing in the court, Tauqir pleaded not guilty before the bench, and accused authorities of mistreating him.

During the court proceeding, Tauqir denied corruption allegations, saying that National Accountability Bureau’s investigation team has tortured him.

“There is still no charge-sheet against me. All charges levelled against me are baseless,” he said in court. Tauqir said his life was in danger. “I should be granted access to legal counsel. NAB officials are threatening to break my bones and shoot me to death, pressurising me into pleading guilty,” he claimed.

The bench also ordered a medical examination of Tauqir Sadiq, who will be presented in court again on July 23.

Earlier Tuesday, NAB team brought Tauqir Sadiq back to Pakistan on a private airliner and he was shifted to Rawalpindi soon after landing at Islamabad’s Benazir International Airport. The development came after an Abu Dhabi court ordered deportation of Tauqir Sadiq on June 3.

Amir Jalil Bobra adds: Tauqir Sadiq landed at Islamabad International Airport in the custody of a single NAB official who handed him over to the NAB investigation cell situated in Sector G-6 Islamabad. Tauqir Sadiq alleged “Superior judiciary’ had personal grudges against me,” reliable sources told The Nation.

Interpol UAE official Captain Abdullah handed Tauqir Sadiq over to the NAB Investigation Officer Waqas Ahmed Khan at Abu Dhabi International Airport, the sources said.

During his body search at airport, the NAB official recovered 1,410 dirhams, 50 pages written in Urdu and English and a list of telephone numbers of his jail fellows from India, Bangladesh, Philippines, Afghanistan and some local numbers from Lahore and Peshawar.

The documents recovered from Tauqir were written in Al-Ain Jail of Abu Dhabi. In his writings, he termed the Ogra scam as a political move against the previous government and claimed to go to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) against the judgment of the apex court of Pakistan, the sources said.

Tauqir refused to sign the paper recovered from him and threatened the NAB official that he would not succeed in obtaining his physical remand, the sources added.

Similarly, a Blackberry mobile set, glasses, a purse, a pouch and blue passport were recovered from him at airport.

A blue passport is issued for three years to an official of the government of Pakistan, but the blue passport recovered from him had been issued for five years in violation of the rules and regulations, the sources further said.

During the preliminary investigation at the airport, Tauqir showed arrogance and threatened the NAB official of dire consequences. Tauqir, in presence of a Abu Dhabi-based TV journalist, said “I played with the judicial system of UAE for six months and now I will play with the judicial system of Pakistan,” the sources said.

When contacted, an official of NAB on the condition of anonymity confirmed the story and said Tauqir was trying to politicise the issue. Answering a question, the official said, “No special cell is arranged for the proclaimed offender, he will not be treated as a VIP and jailed in a solitary confinement.” Further course of interrogation and investigation would start right away, the official claimed.