ATTOCK - Over 80 Indian Sikh pilgrims arrived at Gurdwara Punja Sahib in Hassan Abdal on Saturday to perform their rituals in connection with the 412th death anniversary of Guru Arjun Dev Ji, the fifth of the eleven Sikh gurus.

According to Sikhism, the event is also called Shaheedi Jor Mela or Shaheedi Purab of Guru Arjun Dev Ji. Sardar Jaaga Singh who is leading the Indian Sikh pilgrims’ contingent lauded the facilities provided for them.

Earlier, 84 pilgrims arrived at Hassan Abdal by special train in wee hours of Saturday. The pilgrims were received by Deputy Commissioner Anwarul Haq and Assistant Commissioner Jannat Hussain. They were escorted to Sikh temple in strict security. Hundreds of Sikh and Hindu devotees from across the country especially FATA and interior Sindh are also participating in the rituals.

Talking to newsmen, Shrines Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) deputy secretary Imran Gondal said that the government made elaborated arrangements to ensure provision of maximum facilities to the Sikh pilgrims so that they could perform their religious rituals in an amicable manner. He said that according to the schedule, the yatrees will go to Gurdwara Janum Asthan Nankana Sahib on June 10 where they will stay for three days. Then they will leave for Sucha Sauda, Farooqabad on June 12. On the same day, they will return to Nankana Sahib. They will go to Gurdwara Dera Sahib in Lahore on June 13. The central celebrations will be held at Gurdwara Dera Sahib on June 16 in which Sikh yatrees will perform their religious rituals. The Indian yatrees will go back to their homeland on June 17.

Meanwhile, goods including furniture, foam and electric appliances  worth millions of rupees turned into ashes as a fire erupted in furniture manufacturing unit and engulfed 14 adjacent shops also in Khan market located in center of Hassanabdal city. According In-charge Rescue Dr Ashfaq, the fire erupted in a furniture manufacturing unit which was attributed to short-circuit. It engulfed the shop with high flames due to presence of heavy stock of kerosene oil and other flammables used for polishing the furniture.

The flames were high enough that it spread to 11,000 KW heavy electric transmission lines passing over the shop resultantly it spread to entire market consisting of electric goods and foam shops. The only fire tender of tehsil municipal admiration failed to control the situation resultantly local administration called fire tenders from all neighboring cities including two from Hazro, one from Taxila, one from Wah and two from Attock to extinguish the fire.

Later the rescue operation was completed after two hour efforts by dozen of fire fighters and local volunteers.