KARACHI - Six people including two Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat leaders and a cop were killed in separate acts of violence in the metropolis, on Sunday.
An incident of target killing took place between Bilal Chowrangi and Vita Chowrangi in Korangi where four ASWJ leaders were passing on two motorcycles. Police officials said that at least four armed assailants opened fire on the ASWJ men, injuring them severely.
After being informed, police rushed to the spot and shifted the injured to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre where two of them identified as Altaf Aziz, 35, and Qari Ibrahim, 30, succumbed to injuries while Abdul Qadir and Mohammad Tayyab were admitted to hospital. The victims were the residents of Mehmoodabad locality. “They were on their way to homes after visiting ailing ASWJ leader Maulana Aurangzeb Farooqui,” says ASWJ spokesperson while condemning the incident. Deceased Altaf Aziz was the head of ASWJ Mehmoodabad Sector and Qari Ibrahim the secretary information for Mehmoodabad Sector.
Meanwhile, a police officer was shot dead in an act of target killing in New Muzaffarabad Colony within the jurisdiction of Quaidabad police. The deceased was identified as ASI Anwarul Haq, son of Shamsul Haq. Police officials said that the ASI was posted to the Police Training Centre in Saeedabad. The armed motorcyclists shot and killed him when he was returning after offering Maghrib prayers at a mosque. He was shot twice and died at the spot. His body was taken to JPMC for autopsy and later handed over his heirs.  Separately, a man identified as Zia Hashmat was shot dead near Eye Spencer Hospital in Lyari within the limits of Napier Police Station. He was critically injured when some armed gangsters opened fire at him. He was shifted to Civil Hospital, Karachi where he succumbed to injuries.
In another incident, a man identified as Qari Mohammad Din, 55, was shot dead in Khuda Ki Basti within the premises of Surjani Police Station. Police said that at least two armed men riding a motorcycle targeted Qari. However, the motive behind the incident has yet to be ascertained. Meanwhile, a minor, son of the policeman, was found dead from an under-construction building in Baldia Town within the limits of Saeedabad Police Station. Police officials said that 7-year-old Wasim, son of Rawat Khan, was kidnapped on Saturday. According to reports, some unidentified persons kidnapped the boy and later stabbed him to death.
Meanwhile, police arrested two suspects for providing logistical support to a banned outfits during a raid conducted on a tip-off at old-city area. Police also recovered two hand-grenades and two pistols from the suspects. The suspects were identified as Mohammad Usman and Azam Qureshi. They were shifted to undisclosed location for further questioning.  SHO Tariq Baig said the suspects were arrested after an exchange fire when the police raided at their hideout in Railway Colony area within the precincts of Mithadar police, adding that three of their comrades managed to escape under the cover of firing. Sources said the suspects were involved in providing logistical supports to different banned outfits including Al-Qaeda.
When approached, Mithadar SHO Tariq Baig neither confirmed nor denied the suspects’ affiliation with Al-Qaeda. He said the suspects were planning to carryout a terror activity.
Separately, Rangers arrested five members of a banned outfit, recovering weapons including hand-grenades from them during an operation in Attaur Rehman Goth at Landhi. The suspects, whose identification was not disclosed, were shifted to undisclosed location for further questioning. Separately, Rangers also claimed to have arrested two alleged robbers after an exchange of fire. Ranger’s spokesperson claimed the suspects were looting a passer-by near Nazimabad flyover when Rangers troops deployed nearby tried to apprehend the dacoits. But culprits started firing on Rangers and tried to flee. The suspects were chased and after a brief encounter, Rangers men managed to arrest both dacoits including one in injured condition. They were later identified as Asif Afridi and Sanaullah Afridi alias Shano.