islamabad - In a turn of events, there has been a deadlock between the government and the leadership of Tehreek Labbaik Ya Rasool Allah as the former has refused to sack the Federal Law Minister Zahid Hamid in the wake of controversy arising out of the amendment in Khatam-e-Nabuwat declaration, said sources on Thursday.

“The demand [to sack the law minister] is not acceptable for the government,” a senior government official quoted the government functionaries as having conveyed to the leadership of TLYR.

The official told The Nation that the sit-in is likely to continue under current circumstances. “The government is not interested in talking to the protesters’ leadership camping at Faizabad and aims to focus on possible measures to ease traffic flow in the city,” the official added.

Other than the resignation of Law Minister Zahid Hamid, the protestors demanded an end to government restrictions on registration of FIR under 295/C, punishment of those accused of blasphemy, action against those involved in amending affidavit of Khatam-e-Nabuwat, abolition of the Loudspeaker Act, an end to cases against leaders and workers of the Tehreek and inclusion of Islamic teachings in the curriculum which were previously excluded.

A few rounds of meetings were held between administration and the TLYR leadership but the two sides were unable to reach an understanding.

On the other hand, interior minister on Thursday chaired a meeting at the ministry to discuss the situation arising out of the sit-in. According to the sources, Chief Commissioner Islamabad, representatives of the district administration and police officers attended the meeting.

The meeting agreed that there should be no immediate action against the protesters due to the Chehlum Imam Hussain (AS) today that may lead to a chaos in the city.

The participants were fully cognizant of the fact that ‘Friday’ may provide additional manpower to the protesters if the law-enforcers used force against them. For the time being, use of power is not an option, sources told The Nation.

The meeting, however, decided to take measures for easing traffic flow in the city. Smooth traffic flow, particularly at Koral Chowk on the Expressway, is among the priorities of the administration at the moment, a government official said after the meeting.

The capital administration’s wait-and-see approach to the sit-in by the religious group has paralyzed the capital city. The protesters have been sitting at Faizabad interchange causing great inconvenience for road-users and also disrupting routine life in the city.

The patients are not being allowed to move across the interchange, said eye-witnesses.

Maulana Khadim Hussain Rizvi is leading the protesters. On the other hand, all entry and exit points of the Red Zone including D Chowk have been completely sealed.

The road-users faced severe inconvenience due to road blockage in the capital city.

Main arteries were blocked by placing containers amidst a diversion plan for the twin cities which failed to bring any respite for the commuters.

Meanwhile, Islamabad police registered a First Investigation Report (FIR) against TLYR leader Khadim Hussain Rizvi under Section 322 of the Pakistan Penal Code for the death of an infant.

The infant was not able to reach the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) on 8 November because of roadblocks due to the rally.

In the FIR, the child’s father Muhammad Bilal held that their eight-month-old son’s life could have been saved had they reached the hospital in time.