LAHORE - As the five-year-old assaulted girl returns home after a month long stay at hospital, police investigators seem to be nowhere in regards to the case.

About her health, doctors say that she is well and doing fine after two complex surgeries during her 29 days long stay in the intensive care unit (ICU).

The youngest of nine siblings was found in the parking lot of the Sir Ganga Ram hospital on September 13. On the complaint of her father, the Mughalpura police had registered a criminal case against unidentified men but failed to unearth the mystery.

The girl was shifted to her home located in a low-income neighbourhood amid tight police security on Wednesday. A good number of plainclothesmen are also deployed in the locality to provide security to the victim family.

The police are yet to make any breakthrough in the rape case of five-year-old girl. Polygraph tests of two suspects too failed to determine considerable results, police sources said.

Sources revealed that the investigators carried out the polygraph examination of Zafar Iqbal, alias Malshia, and Amir Shahzad for the third time on Tuesday but could not establish their involvement in the heinous crime.

According to officials, the case became more complicated since the forensic evidence had not been preserved and there was no witness of the incident either. Sources said that police investigators also failed to pin down the suspect seen in the CCTV footage carrying the baby girl to the hospital. The CCTV footage was of no use to the police due to its poor quality.

Police has also released all the suspects detained and interrogated for several days.

While addressing a press conference on Wednesday at the investigations headquarters Qila Gujjar Sigh, Lahore DIG (Investigation) Zulifqar Hameed said that three meetings of the joint investigation team, constituted to probe the rape case, took place during the last couple of days but the team could come up with any clue in the case so far.

However, he denied the reports that the police, during the investigations, used third-degree torture methods on suspects for forceful confession. “We are investigating the case by scientific methods and the culprit would be captured soon,” the DIG claimed.

Earlier, the Punjab Home Department had constituted a joint investigation team which was headed by the Lahore DIG (investigation) and comprises members of the Intelligence Bureau, ISI, Lahore CIA police, special branch, and officials of the Forensic Science Agency. The brutal assault triggered nationwide protests and condemnations pressing the government to adopt adequate measures to fend off such happenings.