KARACHI - KMC Administrator Muhammad Hussain Syed said on Tuesday that the ongoing development works in district east, including construction and repairing of roads, would be completed by the end of the current financial year.

He was presiding over a meeting held to review the uplift projects being undertaken in district east.  Technical Services Director General Altaf G Memon, Chief Engineer East Mehmood Hussain Baloch and other officers attended the meeting.  The administrator said that construction of Mausamyat Road, Korangi Causeway and Shahra-e-Quaideen were important projects as their timely completion would facilitate traffic passing through these main thoroughfares.

It was informed during the meeting that 80 percent work on Mausamyat Road was completed and the remaining work was underway. The four-and-a-half-km long portion of phase-I of Mausamyat Road was completed at a cost of Rs167million, while construction of Korangi Causeway, Korangi Crossing and other roads in Landhi and Korangi going on and the making of Korangi Causeway as two track road would be completed next month at a cost of Rs8.7million.

The road from Qayyumabad to Korangi was made 16 feet wide and the carpeting work of 15 thousand roads from 12 thousand to 8 thousand road was completed and 60 percent of rehabilitation and repair work of Shahra-e-Altaf and the adjoining storm water drain was also completed. The remaining 40 percent work of this road would be done with the other portion of this road that would provide major convenience to residents of Landhi, Korangi, Malir, Korangi Creek and other adjoining areas.

Administrator Karachi stressed the need of completion of development work of Shahra-e-Quaideen and the road side drain in time. He was informed that already 20 percent work on this project was completed. In the first phase road from Noorani Kabab Chowrangi to Khudad Colony was being constructed and the shahra had been further widened by covering the central drain. Reconstruction of this road would cost Rs315million.

Administrator Karachi said construction and repairing of roads under MPA program was also underway in the city. He however directed the engineers to speed up work on these projects so they could be completed in the current financial year.