ISLAMABAD - The National Accountability Bureau has been ordered to disclose its correspondence with Pakistan’s army headquarters on the NLC scam .
The Supreme Court had instructed NAB to submit a report on the National Logistics Cell affair in which three generals were implicated in Rs4.3 billion of unauthorised stock market investments. Maj Gen (retd) Khalid Zahir had been dismissed from service for his established involvement in the scam .
Maj Gen (retd) Khalid Zahir Akhter has been dismissed from service, Lt Gen (retd) Muhammad Afzal Muzaffar has been awarded “Severe Displeasure (Recordable)” and action was taken against one civilian officer Saeed ur Rehman. However, Lt Gen (retd) Khalid Munir Khan has not been found involved in any financial irregularity or serious misconduct and, therefore, stood absolved from all charges.
The NAB report, however, was dismissed as “unsatisfactory” on Monday by Justice Jawwad S Khawaja who complained that NAB had taken five years to produce the report but had not submitted a full correspondence on the affair.
Justice Jawwad remarked, “It was not a satisfactory report.”
The NAB APG replied since the General Headquarters (GHQ) has all the relevant documents about the scam , therefore, the NAB is facing difficulties in procuring the same. However, the judge stated this case is pending before the NAB for the last five years. He inquired when the NAB wrote first letter to GHQ , adding for getting minor information from NAB the apex court had to pass an order.
Additional Prosecutor General of NAB Akbar Tarar, submitting a report on mega scams, informed a three-member bench, headed by Justice Jawwad S Khawaja, that three accused including two retired generals and one civilian officer of NLC had found responsible for illegally investing money in the stock market, while Lt-Gen Khalid Munir was acquitted for want of evidence against him.
The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) had launched a complaint against Lt-Gen (retd) Khalid Munir Khan, ex-OIC NLC , Lt Gen (retd) Muhammad Afzal Muzaffar, ex-OIC NLC , Maj Gen (retd) Khalid Zahir Akhter, Najeebullah Khan, ex-DF&A NLC and Saeedur Rehman, ex-CFO NLC regarding the illegal investment.
Additional Prosecutor General of NAB Akbar Tarar, submitting a report on mega scams, informed a three-member bench, headed by Justice Jawwad S Khawaja, that three accused including two retired generals and one civilian officer of NLC had found responsible for illegally investing money in the stock market, while Lt-Gen Khalid Munir was acquitted for want of evidence against him.
The NAB APG told the bench that they had written the first letter to GHQ on November 10, 2010 but only inquired about conducting trial of army officers under the Pakistan Army Act 1952.
Justice Jawwad asked when the NAB had written the first letter for procuring record. Tarar replied that on 15th February 2012 investigative officer was appointed to initiate inquiry against the persons involved in the NLC scam . “On 1st March, 2012, the NAB had written another letter to GHQ asking it to share evidence about the case,” he added.
Upon that Justice Jawwad inquired what was the response of GHQ ? The NAB APG replied that next week he could provide the record of the case, but said those documents were secret and requested to examine them in the court chamber. The judge asked him to provide the documents in a sealed envelope in the open court, adding after examining the record the court would decide about its sensitivity. The hearing was adjourned for one week.