SARGODHA (Agencies) Five young Americans detained in Sargodha wanted to join a holy war and were in contact with militants through the Internet, officials said on Thursday. The five men, students in their 20s from northern Virginia, were detained Wednesday in Sargodha, at the home of a member of the Jaish-e-Mohammad, one of a number of militant groups active in Pakistan, which is battling a fierce insurgency. Security officials said the detainees were planning to strike sensitive installations in Pakistan and that maps and laptops were found, while FBI personnel had also been given access to the detainees. The suspects were being investigated for possible links to a Pakistan-based group suspected of carrying out high-profile attacks and with links to the Taliban and al-Qaeda. We watched them for one and a half days and then arrested them, Usman Anwar, police chief of Sargodha, told reporters. We seized laptops and other things from their possession. Later we came to know that they have come here with the intention of 'jihad. Muslim leaders in Washington said the five men had been living in northern Virginia until they disappeared last month, while FBI officials said they were looking into whether the missing men were indeed the men being held in Pakistan. Usman Anwar - who interrogated the suspects - told AFP that they were picked up on suspicion of having links to Al-Qaeda and other outlawed extremist groups in Pakistan. Five foreigners - two of them Pakistani-Americans, one Egyptian, one Ethiopian and one Eritrean - have been arrested, he said. We have also arrested Khalid Chaudhry, father of the two Pakistani-American brothers aged 22 and 25 years, who is also an American national and local leader of Jaish-e-Mohammad, for harbouring these five people. Another senior Sargodha police official, Haseeb Shah, told AFP: A two-member FBI team has arrived in Sargodha to interrogate the six men. A US embassy spokesman in Islamabad was unable to confirm that US nationals were being held in Pakistan, saying they were investigating the arrests in Sargodha. Officials from the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) told reporters in the US relatives of the men contacted the organisation on December 1 after they went missing from their homes close to the capital. Nihad Awad, CAIRs executive director, said the families brought along a farewell video showing one of the five men delivering a final statement, and which included war images and Quranic verses. Its like a farewell, Awad said of the 11-minute, English-language video. The video referred to wars between the West and various Muslim nations and included out-of-context verses of the Holy Quran, he said. There were... images of conflict, he added, describing the video as similar to videos we see on the Internet. The circumstances were so suspicious that we felt we had to bring it to the attention of the FBI, said Ibrahim Hooper, CAIRs national communications director. After viewing the video, CAIR contacted the FBI and turned over the footage and information about the missing men. FBI officials in Washington refused to confirm their nationalities, saying it was working with the families and Pakistani law enforcement to determine their identities and the nature of their business there, if indeed these are the students who had gone missing. A senior Pakistani security official told AFP on condition of anonymity that five of the men had arrived in Pakistan on November 30 from England. They had boarded a plane from Heathrow airport on November 28 and came to Pakistan via Dubai. We have confiscated three laptops and other sensitive material including maps of Pakistan, he said. They have close links with Al-Qaeda and one of its allies in Pakistan, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi... it can be confirmed that they had plans to strike sensitive installations in the country. The suspects were wary about being detected through sending emails so instead they shared a password so different members of their group could access the same email site and read messages saved there as drafts, he said. This is the same method used by al-Qaeda, said the official. The suspects also surfed the Internet to get access to Pakistan-based militant groups Jaish-e-Mohammad and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LT), he said. The concrete house where the men were arrested was deserted on Thursday, its white gate locked. Neighbours confirmed security men had raided the house three days ago but they said they had no idea about the people who had been living there. There were no police on duty at the house next to a petrol station in a middle-class neighbourhood, but plain-clothes security men were in the area. Officials said three Pakistanis had also been detained, one of whom was believed to have been linked to a 2007 suicide bomb attack on an air force bus outside an air base in Sargodha in which eight people were killed. The Americans were in contact with militant groups in Pakistan through the Internet. Laptops, computers, CDs, mobile phones and maps of Pakistani cities had been recovered from them, said Anwar. They had links to towns in countrys northwest, including the al-Qaeda and Taliban stronghold of Miranshah. They might have been on their way to Afghanistan, Anwar told Reuters. The group was suspected of involvement in attacks including the murder of US journalist Daniel Pearl in 2002 and an assassination attempt on former president Pervez Musharraf. Rashid Rauf, a British militant suspected of being ringleader of a 2006 plot to blow up airliners over the Atlantic, was also a Jaish member. News of the arrest of five US nationals came as a Chicago man with Pakistani roots, accused of scouting targets for the 2008 Mumbai attacks in India, pleaded not guilty in a Chicago court on Wednesday. David Headley is being investigated in the United States for alleged ties to the Lashkar-e-Taiba Punjab-based militant group that was blamed for the Mumbai rampage which killed 166 people. US investigators are scrutinising the suspects writings and computer files with help from the families, the Washington Post reported Thursday. Of course were concerned, but we dont have any reason to believe there was some big plot or some big plan, a law enforcement official told the Post, speaking on condition of anonymity. Were trying to find out who were these kids, what were they doing and why were they doing it. Our primary focus is, lets get them back safely, the official said.