Islamabad - The Supreme Court Wednesday directed Islamabad administration to submit a report about those police officials who were found responsible for F-8 district courts terrorist attack.

The attorney general was ordered to file report about the compensation given to people injured in the attack. A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk, heard suo moto notice on indiscriminate firing and suicide attack on Islamabad District Courts on 3rd March 2014, wherein 12 people, including additional sessions judge, were killed.

With the onset of the proceedings, the bench inquired from additional attorney general (AAG), who represented Islamabad administration, how many constables were made scapegoats to spare the high-ranking police officials in that episode. Justice Gulzar Ahmed remarked if the policemen instead of performing duties would take tea then how would they provide security.

AAG Sajjid Illyas Bhatti submitting a report regarding enhancing security of district courts informed that the action had been taken against the negligent policemen and four cops were suspended.

President Islamabad High Court Naseer Kiyani, the petitioner, informed the court that they still had concern about court security, as police had not been deputed yet. He further said that the commission, headed by IHC Judge Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui, had proposed for special security force, but its recommendations had not been implemented, and so far no responsibility had been fixed against the negligent police officers. “We want action against the negligent officers, and compensation be paid to the victim lawyers’ families soon.”

He argued if a government official was killed in a terrorist attack then heirs get Rs 15 million in compensation, but for the ordinary citizen the compensation amount is Rs 0.5 million.

Justice Gulzar stated it was the government’s policy and the court could not interfere in it.

However, Naseer Kiyani contended that all citizens are equal before the state; therefore, everyone should be treated alike. The chief justice said the government servant status was different as upon retirement he gets pension, therefore his compensation would be different from the ordinary citizen.

The chief justice inquired from DAG where the report about fixation of responsibility on police officers was. Sajjid Illyas said that according to initial report, out of 46 police officials four were constables and one was assistant sub-inspector.

Justice Gulzar remarked that DSP and SP who should have been held responsible for the March 3, 2014 F-8 court attack had been spared, while the action had been taken against the constables and no action was initiated against any officer.

The AAG said that the government was not considering increase in compensation amount but was only examining the procedure for payment of compensation.

The case was adjourned till January 14.