LAHORE – City police have booked the management of Punjab Group of Colleges following the deaths of three female students during a stampede, which erupted in Alhamra Cultural Complex at the end of a musical concert.

Police sources said that the security In-charge Maj (retd) Saleem and Supervisor Muhammad Iqbal have been arrested while raids are underway to arrest the college Principal Agha Tahir. The Gulberg police have registered the case on the complaint of Nasim Abbas, father of Maheen, one of the victims. Sources further said that the college principal, security in-charge, and Supervisor have been nominated as accused in the First Information Report (FIR).

Late on Monday night, at least three female students were crushed to death and many others wounded when a stampede broke out after a musical concert at the Alhamra Cultural Complex, Gaddafi Stadium.

The Punjab Group of Colleges arranged the annual musical concert of renowned singers Atif Aslam, Arif Lohar and others for female students of different campuses. More than 7000 students attended the event, which took place in the hall with the capacity of 4000.

Police said that the stampede ensued when the musical concert ended and the participants were about to leave the venue.

Eyewitnesses said that a great number of eve-teasers who managed to enter the hall created disturbance, which resulted in stampede. However, according to police sources, the stampede erupted due to bomb hoax when someone from the participant shouted that a bomb inside the hall was just about to explode.

Three girls including 22-year-old Maheen Abbas, resident of Walton Road, Nimra (21), resident of Muraghzar Colony and Farah Nawaz (20) a resident of Canal View Housing Society were crushed to death in the tragic incident. Many other students also wounded, a few of them critically, and were admitted to the Services Hospital in a critical condition.

According to a college student, venue was packed to its capacity and hundreds of students were seen standing on the stairs during the concert. Reportedly, Chief Minister Punjab Shahbaz Sharif has also taken strong notice of the incident and ordered an inquiry. Further investigations are underway.