LAHORE - Dozens of local residents blocked The Mall on Sunday and staged protest demonstration against the gruesome murder of a 10-year-old boy in Gujjarpura area, demanding the authorities to hang the killers publicly. The protesters, mostly close relatives and family friends of the deceased identified as Shahzad Ahmed, staged demonstration outside the Punjab Assembly with tears in their eyes instead of chanting full-throated slogans against the police. Shahzad Ahmed, a resident of Gujjarpura, was found murdered lying alongside the canal near Karbathpind in Barki locality on early Sunday, police said. The police sources say that the killers took the boy to Barki on a motorcycle on last Friday, where they sexually assaulted him. They threw his body into the canal after strangling him and managed to escape from the scene. They also revealed about the arrest of one of the culprits. The police sources said the killers identified as Nadeem and Ramzan, were working at the shop of M Waris, father of the deceased. Nadeem had been arrested while Ramzan was still at large and police were conducting raids in various parts of the City to nab him. A six-year-old boy Hassan, neighbour of the deceased, identified Nadeem as the kidnapper. The boy disclosed to the victim family that he had seen the deceased along with Nadeem on a motorcycle on Friday when Shahzad went on missing mysteriously. The father of the deceased reached the Gujjarpura Police Station and got registered a kidnapping case against unidentified abductors after he failed to find his son despite hectic efforts. On Saturday, the police registered the kidnapping for ransom case on the complaint of the father of the deceased and started investigations. The police sources further disclosed that the killers also made telephone calls to the father of the deceased and demanded Rs 0.2m ransom for his safe release. During preliminary investigations, the investigators observed that the killers made phone calls to the victim family only to misguide the police, a police source close to the investigators said. During the investigations, Nadeem confessed to the police investigators that he along with Ramzan took the boy to the Barki and attempted to sodomize him. The boy made hue and cry and said he would tell his father about them. They strangled the boy after sodomizing him and fled away after throwing his body into the canal. The police after Nadeems confession reached the spot and recovered decomposed body of the deceased from the canal on early Sunday and removed it to the City morgue for autopsy. Further investigations were underway. The police sources said there were severe torture marks on the body of the deceased. Abdul Rahman, uncle of the deceased, told reporters at Wariss house the police did not take the case seriously. He said they misbehaved with them instead of launching immediate operation to arrest the culprits. He held the police responsible for mishandling the case, which led to killing of his nephew. A large number of the local residents converged outside the PA soon after the body was recovered and staged a protest demonstration against the police concerned. The protests blocked The Mall and demanded the Punjab CM to provide them justice. They protesters were not ready to end their protest, demanding the CM Punjab to reach the spot and ensure them justice. The protesters demanded the govt to hang the killers publicly. However, the police including senior officers concerned reached the spot and managed to disperse the protesters after holding negotiations. They also assured the victim family that the family would be provided justice. And one should not forget that as the poor family was mourning the death of their beloved son, people were celebrating the Mother Day and TV channels were broadcasting special programmes to highlight the role a mother play in developing the personality of any child. But perhaps such events are organised not for the majority who is fighting for their survival.