KARACHI - A huge fire erupted at the city court’s warehouse in Karachi on wee hours of Wednesday, which engulfed the entire building. The fire turned the record into ashes particularly of the Districts South and East.

Initially, the fire brigade department dispatched at least two fire tenders at the site, however, keeping the intensity of the fire, the fire tenders from across the city were called in to bring the fire under control but the blaze went out of control after which the operation was called off.

The fire tenders and rescue teams present at the site were also asked to move away from the building due to the presence of the explosive material, hand grenades and large quantity of weapons stored in the warehouse, causing small explosions.

“A total 12 fire tenders, two water bowsers and a snorkel took participate in fire extinguish work,” says Chief Fire Officer Tehseen Siddiqui. “Our firefighters were doing their efforts to control the blazes despite explosions without bulletproof jackets and other safety equipment.”

He said that nothing could say exactly about the cause of the fire as the fire was too heavy while the fire brigade department would be able to comment on the cause of the fire after the complete examination of the fire site after the cooling process.

The firefighters were able to control the blazes by the hectic efforts of at least five hours while they continued the cooling process by late on the Wednesday evening.

IGP Sindh Allah Dino Khowaja who was flanked by Additional IG Karachi Mushtaq Maher, Zone South DIG Azad Khan and SSP Sheraz Nazeer also visited the fire site. “A latest bunker could have been made while using the technology about to keep the explosive materials,” says the IGP while speaking to the media. “This (Malkhana) building was established during the British government. The explosive material kept at the Malkhana was defused, however, the fire intensity caused explosions.” He said that the cause of the fire could have been a short circuit while nothing could say exactly until the complete investigations.

In replying to a question, District City SSP Sheraz Nazeer, however, said that the nothing could say exactly about the cause of the fire whether it was an accidental fire or any criminal act was behind the fire. “The fire brigade department just handed over the building to the police late in the Wednesday evening,” he explained. “We will go for the investigations by today (Thursday) about to ascertain the actual cause of the fire.”

He said that the case properties of the four districts – South, West, East and Central are kept at the Malkhana, however, the case properties of the two districts - South and East were completely burned into ashes while the Districts West and Central’s record remained safe in the fire. Further investigation was underway.