SRINAGAR - Indian troops on Monday shot dead a prominent All Parties Hurriyat Conference leader and six other protesters as they tried to prevent about 100,000 Muslim demonstrators in Occupied Kashmir from marching towards the Line of Control, witnesses said. Hundreds of thousands of Kashmiris marched to the Line of Control, amidst large-scale arrests, indiscriminate firing and use of brute force by Indian troops. Sheikh Abdul Aziz was killed while taking part in a protest march close to the Line of Control. A police official said six other protesters were killed in a day of fierce clashes in the disputed Kashmir valley. A doctor at Srinagar's main hospital, Manzoor Ahmed, confirmed Aziz died of a gunshot wound. "We will spill blood for blood," Aziz's supporters chanted as they carried his body out of the hospital. Security forces immediately imposed a strict curfew in Srinagar. The shooting came as Indian security forces tried to stop about 100,000 Muslims from marching towards the Line of Control - one of the biggest protests ever seen in Kashmir. Police fired in the air to thwart a bid by fruit growers to march towards Muzaffarabad. The marchers had reached a point just 40km from the Line of Control, despite repeated efforts by Indian police and paramilitary forces to break up the demonstration with teargas, rubber bullets and warning shots. Police deflated tyres of 200 trucks carrying fruits in Sopore town and used tear gas shells to disperse the agitating fruit growers trying to take out a cavalcade march towards Muzaffarabad, official sources said. As the fruit growers refused to give in, police and paramilitary forces fired in the air to bring the situation under control, they said. More than 100 fruit growers were detained. Curfew was imposed along a 40-km stretch on Srinagar- Muzaffarabad road from Sheeri to Uri in Baramullah district to prevent thousands of marchers from defying restrictions and crossing the Line of Control, official sources said. Police said the day's violence had also left at least 200 people injured. The marchers raised high-pitched slogans like "Pakistan Zindabad" and "We Want Freedom". Dozens of people from Poonch and Rajouri districts, led by Hurriyat leader Ghulam Ahmad Mir were arrested while they had reached the LoC and were trying to cross it. All Hurriyat leaders including Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Syed Ali Gilani, besides Bar Association, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, Fruit Growers Association and Kashmir Chamber of Commence and Industries had given the call to march to Muzaffarabad following economic blockade of the occupied territory by the Hindu fanatic organisations. APHC Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Syed Ali Glani, Maulana Abbas Ansari, Prof Abdul Ghani Butt, Bilal Ghani Lone, Syed Agha Hassan-Al-Mosoovi and Mina Abdul Qayoom were placed under house arrest to prevent them from leading the march. During the whole day people in thousands sprang from various places to march towards the LoC. Despite strict restrictions by the troops people in large number marched from different corners towards the Line of Control. Till last reports came in, hundreds of thousands of people led by APHC leaders, Shabbir Ahmad Shah, Sheikh Abdul Aziz and Nayeem Ahmad Khan had reached near Rampur, 15km from the LoC. Aziz, who had been jailed on several occasions for demanding Kashmir be handed to Pakistan, is the third prominent Hurriyat leader to have been killed since the start of freedom struggle in 1989. Mirwaiz Maulvi Muhammad Farooq, who was Imam at Kashmir's main mosque, was killed by unidentified gunmen in 1990. Another top leader, Abdul Gani Lone, was gunned down in 2002. However, thousands of Muslims chanting "We want freedom" gathered in Srinagar, prompting police to fire shots in the air and lob tear-gas canisters into the crowd. The protesters retaliated by hurling stones. Police prevented all vehicles from entering the city, an AFP reporter said, while APHC leaders including Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were placed under house arrest. Authorities imposed a curfew in the Uri district, bordering Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, to prevent protesters from reaching the Line of Control, a police spokesman said. Police said they detained more than 100 fruit growers and traders and deflated the tyres of trucks before the march started. Shaiq Hussain from Islamabad adds: Expressing deep concern over the grave human rights violations in Indian Kashmir (IHK), Pakistan on Monday demanded immediate steps for their prevention and to address the volatile situation. Foreign Office Spokesman Muhammad Sadiq while commenting on the latest situation in IHK expressed concern over the reports of attacks on the life and property of Muslims in Kashmir and their economic blockade by extremist elements. He said, "Reportedly, the movement of trucks to and from the Valley is being blocked. This has serious humanitarian implications," he added. Sadiq said, "Pakistan calls for immediate steps to address the situation and prevent the human rights violations in the Indian Kashmir."