KARACHI - Another worker of MQM, subjected to alleged torture in Rangers custody, succumbed to injuries here on Tuesday.

Adil aka Adeel, associated with the MQM unit 136, was apprehended during a raid at his residence in North Karachi area by the law enforcers on February 9.

He was later shifted to undisclosed location before he was handed over to his family. The family made the law enforcers responsible for torturing him during the custody. “He was given to us in half dead condition as he was suffering with head injuries,” said the victim’s family.

Adil was shifted to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where doctors pronounced his death soon after he was shifted to ventilator.

The police denied arresting him and accused the Rangers of arresting him. “The rangers had picked up Adil without informing the police and handed him over to the family without the interference of the police,” said DSP Altaf Hussain. The incident came into the knowledge of police when he died in the hospital.

His funeral prayers were offered near his residence in North Karachi area which was attended by a large number of people including MQM leaders Farooq Sattar, Rauf Siddiqui and Wasey Jalil and a large numbers of MQM workers. “At least 12 of our men have been killed so far and we have lost another today,” said Sattar.

Separate inquiry teams in this regard were also constituted by the police high-ups and few policemen were also suspended but not a single inquiry report was made public or completed.

Online adds: The Sindh High Court on Tuesday issued instructions against harassment of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) activist Fahad Aziz who was picked up when he was escorting home his bride from the wedding ceremony and then allegedly subjected to torture.

The MQM on Monday, through its leader Dr Farooq Sattar, activist Fahad Aziz and his father filed a petition, impleading Interior Secretary, Home Secretary, Director General Rangers, IG Sindh and additional IG Shahid Hayat, SSP East and SHO Sharah-e-Faisal police station as respondents.

Fahad Aziz was arrested at Shah Faisal area late on Saturday. Later he was shifted to a private hospital in Gulistan-i-Jauhar area of Karachi following complaints of stomach ache, according to police sources. But family sources claimed that the policemen had tortured the suspect, resulting in the deterioration of his condition.

During Tuesday’s hearing over the petition submitted against the alleged torture of the MQM activist, the SHC also sought the medical records of the activist and the police station’s daily diary record in 15 days.

The court also issue notices to the parties in the case including DG Rangers, IG Sindh and Karachi Police chief alongwith others and instructed not to harass Fahad Aziz and his family.