LONDON (AFP) Rafael Nadal edged into the Queens Club last eight with a 7-6 (7/4), 4-6, 6-4 win over Denis Istomin on Thursday, but four-time champion Andy Roddick and second seed Novak Djokovic crashed out. French Open champion Nadal had things his own way throughout the claycourt season, but the world number one, who had to call for an injury time-out at one set all, was pushed to the wire in a gruelling third-round match. Nadal was quick to play down concern over his injury and said: Im feeling very good. I just felt something behind the leg and I wanted to check with the physio if its something dangerous or not. It wasnt an easy match for me. The day was difficult too, with a lot of wind. On a day of shocks at the pre-Wimbledon warm-up event, Israels Dudi Sela beat world number seven Roddick 6-4, 7-6 (10/8) and world number three Djokovic was ousted 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 by Belgiums Xavier Malisse. Marin Cilic, the Croatian fifth seed, also went down 7-6 (7/2), 6-2 against Michael Llodra. Nadal looked in fine fettle when he demolished Marcos Daniel in the second round, but he struggled to replicate that form against a player ranked 72nd in the world. A rain delay at 4-4 didnt help Nadals rhythm and the Spaniard had to strain every sinew to finally subdue his resilient opponent in the first-set tie-break. Istomin had no intention of surrendering and he shocked Nadal by breaking in the first game of the second set. In windy conditions, Nadal couldnt get to grips with Istomins serve and he pounded the palm of his hand against his head as the Uzbekistani levelled the match. It was the first time Nadal had dropped a set for 10 matches, a run stretching back to the Madrid semi-finals against Nicolas Almagro. Nadal called for treatment on the right side of his lower torso before the start of the final set and, although he resumed, the 24-year-old never looked completely at ease. He served for the match at 5-3, only for Istomin to hit back with a break of his own before, on his third attempt, Nadal was finally able to convert a match point to set up a last-eight tie with his close friend Feliciano Lopez, who defeated Julien Benneteau 6-2, 6-4. Roddick, 27, reigned supreme at Queens for much of the last decade, but he was beaten for only the fifth time in 34 matches here by the inspired Sela. It was the worst possible preparation for Roddick as he attempts to make amends for last years agonising 16-14 final set defeat to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final. Sela took the first set after an early break and, although Roddick held serve more convincingly in the second set, his failure to mount any concerted threat to Selas serve meant a tie-break was inevitable. The Israeli clinched one of the best wins of his career with a superb diving volley and said: Before last year I didnt like the grass. Now Ive tried it and Im loving it, he said. My hope is to go as far as I can in the tournament. Every round that Im winning, its a bonus for me. Sela will now face Germanys Rainer Schuettler, who had a walkover into the last eight after 11th seed Richard Gasquet withdrew due to a back injury. Djokovic faded in the final set against Malisse, who now faces Americas Sam Querrey a 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) winner over Marcel Granollers while the unpredictable Cilic never got going against Llodra. Meanwhile, Mardy Fish ended Andy Murrays reign as king of Queens as the unseeded American defeated the defending champion 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7/2) in their controversial third round clash on Friday. Murray had been left raging at Queens officials on Thursday evening after the tie was suspended due to bad light with the score 3-3 in the final set. The world number four felt he should have been consulted by umpire Cedric Mourier and supervisor Tom Barnes before the decision was made to halt play. Murrays anger was only increased by the knowledge that the momentum was with him after he fought back from 3-0 down to put the pressure back on Fish. The American had added to Murrays sense of injustice by getting off court as quickly as possible, so inevitably there was an extra spice to proceedings when play resumed under grey skies in west London on Friday. Although there was no visible sign of discord between the players, both were determined not to give an inch and a succession of easily held service games sent the match to a tie-break. Murrays flashing return winner gave him an early mini-break, but he dropped five of the next six points to hand Fish the initiative. A tame forehand into the net from Murray gave Fish four match points and he was soon celebrating as the British number one sent a backhand long. Murray admitted he had been well below his best but he was still irked by the decision to suspend play. I have no idea what would have happened if we would have stayed out there (on Thursday), he said. The thing I was just disappointed with was that no-one said a word to me about it. I wouldnt say that I was angry. Its just you would think in a sport like this, you would be consulted or something would have been mentioned to you. The supervisor apologised to me afterwards because they should have said something to me at the time and they didnt. The defeat is a major blow to Murrays preparations ahead of his home Grand Slam at Wimbledon later this month and he will need a significant improvement to triumph at the All England Club. Murrays loss also continued a dismal run for the big names at Queens as the Scot became the fourth of the top five seeds to crash out before the quarter-finals, following the exits of Novak Djokovic, Andy Roddick and Marin Cilic. Fish, the world number 90, faces a quick turnaround as he will play Frances Michael Llodra in the last eight later on Friday.