ROME  - The Italian foreign ministry on Monday said two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen they mistook for pirates would not return to India when their court-allowed leave runs out at the end of this month. “This was a decision taken by the whole government,” Italian Defence Minister Giampaolo di Paola told Italian news channel TgCom24. “Our marines will return to service,” he said. Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone returned to Italy on February 23 after India’s Supreme Court said they could visit their homeland for a month to vote in elections on February 24-25 since Italy does not allow postal ballots for non-expatriates.“Italy has informed the Indian government that, given the formal international controversy between the two states, the two marines... will not return to India when their leave runs out,” the foreign ministry in Rome said in a statement.Italy “is ready to reach an agreement to resolve the controversy including through international arbitration or a judicial resolution,” it said.The two marines, who were guarding an oil tanker when it was approached by a fishing boat near the port city of Kochi in February 2012, are charged with murder.The case, which was transferred last month from a local court in the southern Indian state of Kerala to a “special court” in New Delhi, has caused diplomatic tensions between India and Italy.Rome has argued that the Indian courts have no jurisdiction to try the marines because the incident took place in international waters.The marines were granted special permission once before, to return home to Italy for Christmas, but later returned to India.Armed guards are increasingly deployed on cargo ships and tankers in the Indian Ocean to tackle the threat posed by Somali pirates, who often hold ships and crews hostage for months demanding multi-million-dollar ransoms.