ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court Wednesday directed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government to take solid steps for the construction of the Samadhi (Shrine) of Shri Hans Ji Maharaj, located at Theri, district Kirk, and not to leave the matter to clerics only.

A two-member bench headed by Chief Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk was hearing the case regarding implementation of judgment on minorities’ rights in Pakistan.

The Additional Advocate General KP submitted a report. According to that, on 15th February a meeting of local clerics was held under the leadership of Maulana Muhammad Sharif, which was participated by around 72 Ulema that it was decided a delegation of clerics would meet Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (F) leader Maulana Fazlur Rehman and apprise him about the resistance of area people regarding construction of Samadhi.

The AAG KP informed, however, clerics gave no date of meeting. In view of the meeting the implementation of Supreme Court order would be discussed. The report said the local cleric meeting had decided that in view of the terrorism in the country the construction of Samadhi could not be allowed.

The report further stated that in light of Ulema’s decision the provincial government has an opinion a joint meeting of all the parties would be summoned for future strategy.

The chief justice said in order to solve the problem it was not right to involve the Ulema but the local population should have been taken into confidence.

Dr Ramesh Kumar informed that he met with the commissioner and Maulana Muhammad Sharif.

Sharif accepted that it was the place of Hindus but said it was matter of his prestige and would not allow the construction of Samadhi, while the inhabitants of that area have no objection on the construction of Hindu shrine.

The court in its short order said for the solution of matter involving clerics did not mean that the provincial government would do nothing. The court directed the government to take solid steps for the construction of Samadhi and protection of Hindu religious places in the province.

The case was adjourned till Thursday as the chief justice had to attend an urgent meeting.