OSLO/COLOMBO (AFP) - A group of Tamil protesters stormed the Sri Lankan Embassy in Oslo Sunday, police said, on the fifth day of demonstrations in the Norwegian capital calling for the end of fighting in Sri Lanka. Even Joerstad, an Oslo police superintendent, told AFP that around 100 Tamil demonstrators tried to storm the Sri Lankan Embassy at 1400 (1300 GMT) and that an unknown number managed to break in. There were about 100 outside but we dont know how many went inside the embassy, Joerstad said. They were inside for about four or five minutes and then they went out, he said, adding that the protesters broke windows and furniture inside the building. Joerstad said the Tamils left the building at the polices request and that no arrests were made, describing the current situation as peaceful. Godfrey Manoharan, a spokesman for the Tamil protesters, said between 400 and 500 people attended the rally, although Oslo police were unable to confirm those figures. The Sri Lanka government lodged a strong protest with Norway over the attack on its embassy, and said the authorities had failed in their obligation to protect the diplomatic compound. Foreign Secretary Palitha Kohona said he protested to Norways Ambassador in Colombo, Tore Hattrem, following the. The fact that the attackers went up to the fifth floor of the building and caused extensive damaged shows that the Norwegian authorities have failed to provide the protection they should have, Kohona told AFP. Later, Norway apologised to Sri Lanka and promised better police protection after Tamil demonstrators seized Colombos embassy in Oslo Sunday. The Foreign Ministry has today presented its apologies to the Sri Lankan ambassador in Norway for what happened, a statement said. Meanwhile, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse ordered government troops to halt their offensive against cornered Tamil rebels for two days to give tens of thousands of civilians a chance to escape the fighting. The brief pause in hostilities comes after increasingly urgent international calls for civilians to be protected as the military attempts to finally crush the separatist Tamil Tiger guerrillas, who have been pushed close to defeat. The Presidents office said the ceasefire would allow civilians to leave the conflict zone and to celebrate the Sinhala and Tamil New Year on Monday and Tuesday. His Excellency has directed the armed forces of the state to restrict their operations during the New Year to those of a defensive nature, it said in a statement. Rajapakse reiterated the governments demands that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) lay down arms and surrender to security forces who have forced the guerrillas into a strip of coastal jungle in the islands northeast. In the true spirit of the season, it is timely for the LTTE to acknowledge its military defeat, the statement said. The LTTE must also renounce terrorism and violence permanently. Britain, the former colonial power in Sri Lanka, praised the government ceasefire while urging the LTTE to follow suit. I very much welcome the announcement by President Rajapakse of a pause in the fighting between the government of Sri Lanka and the LTTE, Foreign Secretary David Miliband said in a statement. The state-run Sunday Observer reported that the remaining Tiger fighters had opened fresh talks with officials from Norway, which brokered an ineffectual peace deal in 2002. Tiger leader Velupillai Prabhakaran was left with few senior comrades after the latest clashes and may try to flee the island during any ceasefire, the Observer added. Tamil Tiger rebels killed five farmers in Buttala area in the far south in an apparent revenge attack for military operations against them elsewhere, the Army said. They have opened fire at farmers in the Mahagodayaya village in Buttala area today, a military official in the area said by telephone. They seem to have gone for a soft target because they are facing defeat in the north.