Rawalpindi: An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Rawalpindi today issued notices to five witnesses, including the American journalist Mark Segal, to appear in the court to record their statements in the Benazir Murder case.

ATC judge Chaudhry Abdul Qayyum when took up the case, the prosecution informed the court about the email conversation between the Segal and the late Bhutto. Siegel’s summons will be delivered to him via email. FIA prosecutor has informed the court of his details. The hearing of the case will resume on April 22.

Mark Siegel has refused to come to Pakistan and record his statement, in the Benazir Bhutto’s murder case. Siegel has citied security concerns as the reason for his not travelling to Pakistan, to record his statement.

The murder case of the former prime minister is being heard by an anti-terrorism court at Adiala jail, on a daily basis. The prosecution team was informed by Siegel of his security concerns; however, the US journalist is willing to record his statement via video link.

Siegel had been summoned to record his statement in the murder case. Till date 49 witnesses have recorded their statements. Mark Siegel has claimed that Benazir Bhutto had received a phone call, by the then President General (retd) Pervez Musharraf in his presence. Siegel says Musharraf had told Benazir that he would not be responsible for her security, if she returned to Pakistani prior to the elections. Siegal has also alleged that Pervez Musharraf was aware of the plot to assassinate Benazir Bhutto and had ordered the destruction of evidence.