ISLAMABAD - Former Pakistan cricket team skipper Zaheer Abbas questioned the selection of senior players in the squad for Zimbabwe series. 

Talking exclusively to The Nation on Monday, ‘Asian Bradman’ Zaheer said: “There is absolutely no sense in recalling those players who have failed to perform despite getting numerous opportunities. This was the perfect stage to give youngsters a much-needed run, just like the Indians did.”

“None of the recalled players have performed extraordinary in the domestic circuit, then what are the reasons behind their inclusion in the touring party. The answer is very simple that the selectors and players are fully aware of the fact that Zimbabwe is a very weak team and these players will score loads of runs taking full advantage of the weak bowling and cement their places in the squad for next two to three years,” he added.

Zaheer said he could not understand what the selectors had been trying to prove by once again giving chance to same group of players who had already past their best and had nothing to prove now. “Instead of taking these liabilities, the selectors should have given chance to fresh and bidding talent which will not only help the youngsters in gaining international exposure but also assist the selectors in finding new talent which can be utilized in the important series against South Africa and Sri Lanka. But the selectors have different ideas and they have committed a big blunder and done a grave injustice with upcoming players.”

He said if given a chance to fresh group of players, the selectors could have checked their worth and depth, as Pakistan team was in great need of strengthening the opening and middle order department. “There is hardly any solid batsman after Misbah and Younus Khan, who can carry the burden in the middle of the innings. Twenty20 format is not the platform to judge the abilities of any player but the best way of judging their qualities and depth is the longer version of the game so a young player must prove abilities in Test matches.”

“By giving so many chances to same group of players, the selectors have been giving no favours to team as well as the country but depriving the deserving ones. This behaviour of the selectors is very frustrating for the young and taleneted players and enough to destroy their careers as age is catching them fast. PCB interim chairman Najam Sethi should take notice of the situation and provide justice to the deserving ones as merit should prevail in all the departments,” Zaheer concluded.