rawalpindi - Police have taken into custody a young boy along with his cousin during actions at Bareen and Kahuta areas on suspicion of killing a nurse and stabbing other females in several areas of Morgah, reliable sources disclosed to The Nation yesterday. Police also claimed to have recovered a knife used in the crime and the female victims also identified one of the attackers.

However, the formal arrest of the suspects has not been shown so far by the police. The family of the suspects, identified as Muhammad Ali (19) and Usama (16), claimed their children are innocent and have nothing to do with the crimes. They said Ali went under gallbladder surgery from a private hospital and could not even to move. All the top cops of Rawalpindi remained tight lipped over the issue when contacted for their comments.

According to sources and family of the suspects, an uncle of Muhammad Ali, who returned from UK, sent Ali to buy breads from a nearby oven at Bareen Road in Kotha Kallan at 9:15pm on August 9 when two cops riding on a bike picked him up outside Al-Madina Naan Centre and produced him before their seniors. They said the seniors took the boy to the house of Riffat Bibi wife of Ch Muhammad Fayyaz for identification. The lady identified the boy, they said, adding the police later shifted the detainee to some unknown place for interrogation.

Sources said police also picked up three other suspects from the area in connection with the high profile case. However, no official confirmation was issued by any police officer accept the press notes to media sharing the details of suspects detained during search operations.

“Police released a sketch of suspect who might be involved in attacks on girls on August 10 late night a day after taking Muhammad Ali into custody. The sketch resembles with Muhammad Ali. My grandson is being implicated in bogus cases,” said Raja Muhammad Ilyas, grandfather of the suspect. He said that Ali underwent gallbladder surgery by Prof Dr Brig (Retd) Aurangzeb Khan on August 3 in a private clinic and the doctors advised him for complete bed rest. He said that later the stitches of Ali were removed on August 9. How can a patient launch knife attacks on girls? he said. He told Muhammad Ali and his sister have been living with him in Kotha Kallan after death of their mother in 1999. “Ali’s father had married with another woman and had never cared about his children,” he said. Rebuffing the rumours that Ali is mentally sick, Raja Ilyas said his grandson passed matriculation with good marks and later got admission in CCA course in TEVTA in Waris Khan. “No one ever made any complaint against Muhammad Ali,” he said.

He said a seven member police team carried out a raid at his house Maira Village at 10:30am on Friday and searched the two houses completely. “Of 7, five cops covering their faces with masks went into kitchen from where they seized three fruit knives. They later took Usama, the cousin of Ali, into custody and shifted him to unknown location,” he said.

Raja Ilyas, who was retired from FF Regiment of Pakistan Army in 1979, appealed Chief of Army Staff, Federal Interior Minister, Chief Minister Punjab and PML-N stalwart Raja Zafar ul Haq to come forward to rescue his grandsons as they were innocent. City Police Officer Israr Ahmed Khan Abbasi, SP Potohar Division Muhammad Ateeque Tahir, DSP Civil Line Circle Farhan Aslam and SHO PS Morgah Malik Kausar neither received their cell phones nor did reply to a questionnaire sent by this correspondent on their cell numbers.

Earlier, RPO Wisal Fakhar Sultan Raja, in telephonic conversation with this correspondent, said that he had formed a special team under the supervision of SP Potohar, which was making hectic efforts to arrest the knife wielding man. He said that police would use all possible resources to arrest the culprit.

“So far we could not arrest the culprit but he will soon be put behind the bars,” he said.