LONDON - England batsman Joe Root is confident he can cope with the added responsibility of batting at number three during the upcoming Test series against Pakistan.

Root has been promoted one place up the order following former number three Nick Compton's decision to take time out from cricket following a poor series against Sri Lanka.

Now the 25-year-old Yorkshireman will slot in at number three for the first of a four-Test series against Pakistan starting at Lord's on Thursday.  "We had a few discussions throughout the season that it could be a possibility moving forward," Root told a Lord's news conference on Tuesday.

"I think the fact I had quite a long time to think about it and to chat it over with the selectors and Trevor and Cooky, it probably made it a bit easier, rather than being thrown into the role," added Root, who has scored nearly 3,500 runs in his 42 Tests at an average of over 52 with nine hundreds.

"The way they've dealt with it has been really good and it's given me time to get my head around it. I feel pretty comfortable going into the series and it's now just about trying to make sure that moving forward that's something I feel comfortable with and I can keep making big scores and contributing to winning Test matches."

Root denied England's middle-order would be weakened by his promotion and the ongoing absence through injury of all-rounder Ben Stokes. "I think that's probably harsh," said Root. "Someone like Jonny Bairstow would consider himself a middle-order batsman and he's taken his game to another level."

He added: "Guys like James Vince, who will really be looking forward to getting back out playing red-ball cricket again. He's got a little bit of experience under his belt and will gain confidence from that."

Broad missing Anderson in Lord's Test

England should have gambled on seamer James Anderson's fitness and included him in the squad for the first Test against Pakistan at Lord's, paceman Stuart Broad has said.

Anderson, England's most successful test bowler with 454 wickets, was left out of England's 12-man squad for the first match of the four-Test series beginning on Thursday.

In his absence, Toby Roland-Jones or Jake Ball will make a Test debut at Lord's. "I would have been tempted to have Jimmy in the 13, then you have him around working with the bowlers, pushing his fitness to maybe play on Thursday," Broad told British media.

"I saw him (last week) and he was doing OK. He was pretty certain he would be included. I don't want to speak for him but he will be disappointed he is not in the squad. "I think he has probably been told he has to play some cricket to be 100 per cent because the sensible thing is you do not risk him in the first (Test) and have him out of the rest, you get him right for Old Trafford (the second Test)."