KABUL: The Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah has condemned what he described as the overnight attack on border police by Pakistani forces, but said a ceasefire had been agreed upon.

Addressing the Council of Minister's meeting on Monday morning in Kabul, the CEO said Afghan government and Pakistan had an agreement that before building any new installations in that area, they would be discussed and mutually agreed upon according to international law.

"We have discussed this through diplomatic channels too but Pakistan didn't act upon the decisions we had," he said.

"Pakistan wanted to build new installations and Afghan Border Forces didn't allow it. Pakistan went further and fired towards Afghan Forces," he added.

"One of our border soldiers was martyred and six others wounded in the clashes against Pakistan last night. The other side had casualties too."

He went on to praise Afghan security forces and said: "We have the right to protect ourselves and no one should look down at us when it comes to defending our sovereignty and integrity."

"We have proved that we are able to protect our homeland and our people. The current fight Pakistan started doesn't help anyone's interest."

He said: "We currently have agreed on a ceasefire with Pakistan. We hope this problem will end through the work by diplomatic addresses."

Abdullah also offered his sympathy to the "people and government of U.S for the tragic incident in Orlando, Florida," which killed 50 and wounded 53.

He also said that they would discuss at Monday's meeting the issue of abductions in Kabul. "Security forces must take extra measures to avoid such cases in future," Abdullah said.