KARACHI: Sindh Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director Shahid Hayat today met former Karachi mayor Mustafa Kamal and Anees Qaimkhani to investigate the allegations leveled against Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM).

Sindh FIA Director reached Mustafa Kamal’s house without any protocol and was welcome by Dr Sagheer Ahmad who has also quit MQM to join the dissidents.

It may be noted that FIA is investigating into allegations of funding by Indian intelligence agency RAW to MQM.

According to reports, Mustafa Kamal is likely to record statement in next 48 hours while Sarfraz Merchant would also arrive in Pakistan from London for the same purpose.

Earlier, FIA Director Inam Ghani contacted Mustafa Kamal and Sarfraz Merchant and he said that he will respond to the request after consulting his legal aides.

Kamal, who won wide support as mayor of Karachi from 2005 to 2010 for his efforts to ease traffic and improve public services, leveled blistering criticism at Husain’s strong arm tactics in a press conference last week after returning to Pakistan after three years.

Kamal left Pakistan in 2013 over reported differences with Husain, and had lived in Dubai since then.

He accused Altaf Hussain of being an Indian agent and a ‘dictatorial drunkard’ who has mismanaged the affairs of Pakistan’s biggest city from his base in north London.

In a blistering attack, Mustafa Kamal also accused Hussain of overseeing an organization that has turned some activists into “international terrorists”.

Rumours have persistently swirled around Hussain, but senior members of his party have always scrupulously avoided even veiled criticism of their leader. Their code of silence has allowed Hussain to maintain firm control over the MQM’s army of activists, despite living in self-imposed exile in the UK for more than 20 years.

The MQM is also under pressure from the paramilitary Rangers force, which launched an armed operation in the southern port city late in 2013 to tackle soaring crime rates. Since then, hundreds of MQM workers have been arrested and a court has issued an arrest warrant for party boss Altaf Husain for threatening the army in a television address.