KARACHI - Gunmen shot dead a sailor of Pakistan Navy in broad daylight at Karachi’s busiest thoroughfare Karsaz, Shahrah-e-Faisal on Monday.  Police said Pakistan Navy official Ghulam Akbar lost his life when unidentified armed men shot him near Karsaz area.  The victim was deputed at PNS Aslat from where he arrived after getting two hours break for his wife checkup at PNS Rahat. SP Ali Asif said the victim was waiting for his wife at a bus stop when armed motorcyclists shot him dead. The assailants managed to flee from the scene. Akber was shot once in his neck. He succumbed to injuries at hospital.
Police have failed to ascertain the motive behind the murder. Investigators found a pistol and a motorbike from the crime scene.
In the most recent incident, a Pakistan Navy’s sailor Fayyaz Ali, who was on security duty of the commanding officer of the PNS Nasar, was shot dead in a broad daylight at main Korangi Road last month.
Also in the present year, a retired chief petty officer of the Pakistan Navy , Ali Yar Khan, was shot dead when he was offering prayer at Khyber Masjid near Banaras Flyover in Pirabad area of Orangi Town on February 23.
In September last year, a senior Pakistan Navy official, Captain Nadeem Ahmed, 45, a PhD in Ship Construction Engineering and was serving as an instructor at the Naval Engineering College, Karachi. He was going to PNS Jauhar along with his wife Tracy, a British national, where they were attacked by two armed motorcyclists in Karsaz area. Captain Ahmed died on the spot while his wife was critically injured.
Lieutenant commander of the Pakistan Navy , Syed Azeem Haider Kazmi, was wounded in February 2013. An officer and his wife were wounded when a magnetic device, which was planted in their car, exploded at Shahrah-e-Faisal. Another Pakistan Navy official Zahid Iqbal was shot dead in Kharadar area on May 1, 2013. Lt Commander Nasir Nafees was shot dead in North Karachi area in September 2011.
On April 26, 2011, two Naval buses came under attack in Defence Housing Authority and Maripur that claimed four lives and left 55 injured. Two days later, another bus carrying navy staff came under attack in Karsaz in which five people lost their lives.
The attack on PNS Mehran was the worst-ever attack against the paramilitary forces in Karachi when a group of terrorists killed 15 navy personnel and destroyed three PC-3 Orion planes.
Mekanwhile, six people including two political workers were killed in separate incidents of violence on Monday.
Two MQM workers were playing cricket in the area when gunmen riding on motorbikes targeted them and fled. The victims identified as Gauhar Ali Abidi and Syed Rizwan were shifted to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where doctors pronounced their deaths. DSP Altaf Hussain said both the victims belonged to Shia community and were affiliated with the MQM. Their bodies were handed over to the families after autopsy.
A grocery shop owner, Imran, was shot dead and two others Pervez and Afzal were wounded when armed men opened indiscriminate fire on them. Police said the incident occurred when unidentified persons riding a motorbike sprayed bullets on the victims. DSP Fakharul Islam said the motive behind the incident has yet to be ascertained. The body was handed over to the family.
An alleged militant was found dead from Sohrab Goth. He was identified as Imran. SHO Shoaib said one hand grenade and a pistol along with magazine and bullets were also found from his possession. The body was moved to morgue after autopsy.
Moreover, Afnan Baloch, 25, was stabbed to death in Al-Falah area apparently over personal enmity by unidentified persons. The body was taken to Jinnah Hospital for autopsy and later handed over to the family.
A police constable, Firdous Khan, 42, was shot dead in Quaidabad area. Police officials said the victim was posted at Frere police station and he was standing outside his residence when gunmen targeted him and fled. Police registered a case under Anti-Terrorism Act and handed the body over to the family after autopsy.