Lahore: The confusion and worries multiplied on Saturday night when Saudi state TV claimed that there were 15 Pakistani citizens among the 107 people killed in Friday’s crane crash in Haram Sharif. Earlier in the day, Pakistan Foreign Office said there was no Pakistani among those killed and Pakistan’s embassy in Saudi Arabia issued details of 24 Pakistanis who were being treated at different hospitals in Makkah.

But in a late night report Al-Arabia TV claimed that initial reports on casualties suggested that there were 15 Pakistanis, 23 Egyptians, 10 Indians, 25 Iranian, 25 Bangladeshis, six Malaysians, one Algerian and one Afghan among those killed. Saudi authorities said a massive construction crane crashed into the Grand Mosque in stormy weather on Friday, killing at least 107 people and injuring 238, days before the annual Haj pilgrimage for which hundreds of thousands of pilgrims had already arrived in Makkah.

Haj is a must for all able-bodied Muslims who can afford it, and Saudi officials confirmed Saturday the pilgrimage, which starts next week, will proceed unaffected by the incident. It is believed the crane collapsed in the mosque as a result of high winds, although an official explanation has not yet been made.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman on Saturday visited the scene of the incident where he said investigations into the exact cause of the collapse were underway and that findings will be revealed. A committee decreed by the Emir of Makkah, Prince Khaled Al Faisal, is working on revealing the cause of the deadly collapse.

The king offered his condolences to the families of victims and also visited the injured in the Noor Hospital of Makkah. Parts of the Grand Mosque, Islam’s holiest site, remained sealed off Saturday around the toppled crane, which fell into a courtyard only about an hour before mahgrib (evening) prayers.

Om Salma, a Moroccan pilgrim, said “our phones have not stopped ringing since yesterday with relatives calling to check on us.”

But there was little mourning among pilgrims, who snapped pictures of the wreckage and continued with their prayers and rituals.

“I wish I had died in the accident, as it happened at a holy hour and in a holy place,” Egyptian pilgrim Mohammed Ibrahim told a foreign news agency.

A Saudi official said the haj, expected to start on September 21, would proceed despite the tragedy. “It definitely will not affect the haj this season, and the affected part will probably be fixed in a few days,” said the official, who declined to be named.

An investigative committee has “immediately and urgently” begun searching for the cause of the collapse, the official Saudi Press Agency said. The contractor has been directed to ensure the safety of all other cranes at the site, it added. The cranes poke into the air over the sprawling mosque expansion taking place beneath the Makkah Royal Clock Tower, the world’s third-tallest building, at 601 metres (1,972 feet).

For years, work has been underway on a 400,000 square metre expansion of the Grand Mosque to allow it to accommodate up to 2.2 million people at once.