DIYARBAKIR - A civilian shot by suspected Kurdish militants in southeast Turkey died from his wounds on Saturday, officials said, the latest casualty of the worst violence the region has seen in two decades.

Osman Saim Cetin, 66, had been wounded on Friday after assailants belonging to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) opened fire on the restaurant where he was eating in Diyarbakir, the largely Kurdish southeast’s biggest city, security sources said. A waiter was also killed and three police officers wounded. Meanwhile, in the town of Cizre, scene of intense clashes between the PKK and the Turkish army, residents ventured out to stock up on groceries and check on their shops after authorities lifted a nine-day round-the-clock curfew at 7 a.m. (0400 GMT), residents said.

Dozens of civilians have died, rights groups say, in the two months since the government began air strikes and ground operations against the PKK. More than 100 police and soldiers have died in attacks, and hundreds of rebels have been killed. The government resumed strikes against the PKK in July, saying rebels were using a 2-1/2 year ceasefire to stock weapons and recruit new members. President Tayyip Erdogan has promised the fight will go on until “not one terrorist is left”.

He rejects criticism that breaking the ceasefire was an attempt to boost support for his AK Party (AKP), which failed to win enough votes in a June poll to form a government on its own, and to undermine the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), which became the first pro-Kurdish party to enter parliament. A new election is scheduled for Nov. 1 after the AKP was unable to find a coalition partner.