LAHORE - An official of the Lahore Electric Supply Company (Lesco) was shot dead and two others wounded when a gunmen stormed into the civil works office near Sukh Nehar in Baghbanpura on Monday morning.

Police sources revealed that the attacker, who had a history of violence, had been arrested after a brief encounter with the policemen. The alleged killer, identified as Asif alias Achi, is shifted to an unknown location for interrogation.

Eyewitness said that a gunman burst into the Lesco office and opened straight fire on the government workers after a brief altercation over land dispute. As a result, a tube-well operator, identified as Muhammad Mansha, died on the spot while a gardener, Fayyaz, sustained serious wounds. The body was moved to the morgue for autopsy.

Within a few minutes, heavy police contingents reached the spot and cordoned off the site. After locking himself up in a room, the killer opened indiscriminate fire on the policemen. A police constable, Muhammad Shafiq sustained a bullet in the leg and was shifted to the hospital. More police contingents were called in as the shootout continued for a considerable time. The police also retaliated and later managed to capture the wounded gunman.  A police investigator said that the killer was recently released from the jail on bail. According to police, Malik Achi had a history of violence as he had killed two people before being sent to jail. A senior police officer, when contacted, confirmed that the alleged killer had links with a land grabbing gang. The criminal wanted to occupy another piece of land but the tube-well operator timely brought the matter into the notice of Lesco authorities. The police have registered a murder case against the accused and are investigating.

Following the gun attack, Lesco workers staged a strong protest demonstration against the brutal killing and demanded the government to bring the culprits to justice. Meanwhile, a group of angry protesters stormed into the nearby Dera of Malik Achi and set ablaze furniture and other valuables. Heavy police contingents also reached there and managed to disperse the protesters. Further investigations are underway.

Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif took notice of the gun attack and sought a report from the Lahore DIG Operations.

The CM also ordered strict legal action against the accused besides recovery of land from his illegal occupation. Expressing sorrow and grief over the death of Lesco official, the chief minister prayed that may Allah Almighty rest the departed soul in eternal peace and grant courage and strength to the bereaved family to bear the irreparable loss with fortitude. He also directed that best treatment facilities be provided to the injured persons.

Federal Minister for Defense and Water and Power Khawaja Asif also took notice of the killing of a government employee and announced compensation for the victim family.