KARACHI Partial strike was observed on Saturday in violence-hit areas of the provincial metropolis and eight more people lost their lives while several received injuries besides property worth millions of rupees was gutted. The strike call was given by Sindh based nationalist parties in collaboration with various political and religious parties including Awami National Party, Sunni Tehreek, against the restoration of the Sindh Local Government Ordinance (SLGO) 2001. The strike turned deadly on Friday evening when armed men started firing and torching public and private transport in different Pashtoon and Sindhi dominated areas. Fear and panic spread across the city when passengers of a W-11 route bus were burnt alive at Sultanabad, Kimari. At least a dozen people sustained burn injuries while two of them succumbed to their injuries. Authorities again put the law enforcement agencies on high alert and directed them to take stern action against the criminal elements and troublemakers. However, agencies responsible for maintaining law and order, have largely been unsuccessful so far. As a result of failure of police, incidents of violence and arson continued in the city on Saturday and claimed eight more lives. Despite deployment of more police and Rangers personnel for patrolling in troubled areas at least a dozen vehicles including public and private ones have been set on fire. Karachi Transport Ittehad had announced not to bring its vehicles on roads during strike after authorities failed to provide them guarantees of security. The troubled areas continued echoing with gunshots. These areas included Bin Qasim, Ittehad Town, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Kemari, Sohrab Goth, Baldia, Pipri, Steel Town, Gulshan-e-Hadeed, Malir, Shah Faisal, Hassan Square, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Sachal, Safora Goth, Pehlwan Goth, Nazimabad and New Karachi. At least 18 people including two lawyers, Kauser Zaidi and Hassan Mehdi, were also wounded in separate acts of firing near City Courts. Police claimed to have arrested 70 suspects along with weapons from different areas including Mobina Town, New Karachi, Bin Qasim, Malir Halt, Nazimabad, Saddar, Safora Goth, Gulistan-e-Jauhar and Sachal. Armed clashes also took place in various areas where gunmen exchanged fire and hurled hand-grenades on houses in rival dominated areas. The areas including Shah Faisal Colony and Nazimabad No 2, turned into battlefield after the assailants targeted the houses of political workers and rival dominated areas. At least three people named Kamran Rehman, Naeem and Noor Zaman were killed and nearly six others including Sadiq, Kabeer, Momin, Ishaq, Yasir and Hameed were wounded when miscreants hurled at least three hand-grenades and also resorted to intense firing in Nazimabad No 2. The attack also triggered violence and victims relatives also staged a protest. Resultantly, there was another clash which left six more people from both sides injured. The deceased and injured belonged to the ANP. Separately, an Assistant Sub-Inspector Obaid and his cousin Saleh Mohammad were found dead in a Suzuki alto car parked near Shahnawaz Chowk in Pak Colony. Victim cop, presently discharging duties at a Balochistan police station, had recently arrived in city to see his relatives. They were killed after kidnapping. In Landhi, one Saeed Khan hailed from Waziristan, was shot dead near Daud Chowrangi. A body of a youth with hands and legs tied with a rope was found from Steel Town. In arson cases, at least four more vehicles were torched including one oil tanker in Steel Town, one van in Shah Faisal and two cars in Nazimabad. Unidentified persons attacked nationalist partys rally on Rashid Minhas Road and Gulistan-e-Jauhar and injured at least two participants.