QUETTA - Hundreds of activists of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP) and Baloch National Front (BNF), on the visit of United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to Pakistan, took out rallies and staged demonstrations outside Quetta and Turbat press clubs on Tuesday to protest forced disappearances and recovery of mutilated dead bodies of Baloch missing persons.

Security forces in Turbat tried to disperse protesters by surrounding their rally and snatching their placards and banners from them besides barring journalists from coverage.

A good number of protesters and relatives of missing persons staged a rally and protest demonstration under the aegis of VBMP outside Quetta Press Club and expressed their concern over the forced disappearances of missing persons. The protesters were holding banners and placards inscribed with various slogans.

They also chanted slogans for the release and recovery of missing persons, appealing to the UN to take notice of atrocities in Balochistan.

Addressing the protesters on this occasion, VBMP Chairman Nasrullah Baloch, sisters of Zakir Majeed and Kambar Chakar and others said a drama was staged in Bolan the other day, claiming the story regarding the killing of militants was false. “Those who went missing at different times were killed in a fake operation,” they alleged. They lamented that the continuous killing of the Baloch, their enforced disappearances and recovery of their mutilated dead bodies were being watched by the world like silent spectators. They said thousands of Baloch activists had been detained in torture cells.

They claimed that during the era of the current government, 40 mutilated dead bodies of the missing persons had been recovered from various parts of Balochistan. They said the people were suffering from psychological disorders due to detention of their beloved ones. They appealed to the world organisations and HR bodies to take notice of what they called Baloch genocide.

On the other hand, hundreds of male and female activists of BNF took out a rally in Turbat to draw the attention of the UN secretary general towards the human rights violations and recovery of decomposed dead bodies in Balochistan.

The protestors, carrying placards and banners, gathered outside the press club to stage a demonstration, but security personnel surrounded the site and snatched flags, placards and banners from them. They also detained seven protesters who were released, later.

Sources said the security personnel also detained journalists and barred them from covering the event, adding they also destroyed photos and videos before releasing the journalists.

The protesters demanded the UN take immediate notice of the critical situation of Balochistan, stop genocide of the Baloch nation, recovery of decomposed dead bodies and enforced disappearances. They said it was not the first time the security personnel attacked peaceful rallies; in the past also, their rallies were attacked and sabotaged by the security forces.

They recalled the UN secretary general had said in 2012 that the UN would not keep quiet over cruelty and exploitation in the world, urging him to take steps for halting atrocities and excesses in Balochistan.