Ten children have been killed and more than 20 injured by an airstrike on a school in Yemen carried out by the Saudi-led military coalition, residents and aid agencies said on Saturday. 

Coalition aircraft bombed the small village school in the Sa'ada district early on Saturday morning as children on their summer holidays were gathering for religious lessons. 

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said that ten children were killed by the blast and another 28 injured in the attack. All the victims were between eight and 15 years old, the group said. 

Photographs from the scene showed rows of small bodies lined up on tarpaulin. Other pictures showed showed wounded and bloodied children being treated in hospital.

A coalition of Arab nations led by Saudi Arabia began bombing Yemen in 2015 in support of the country's government against a Houthi rebel group aligned with Iran. 

The coalition has been accused of bombing indiscriminately and the UN says it has around killed 2,000 civilians with its airstrikes. 

Earlier this year, Saudi Arabia pressured UN secretary general Ban Ki-Moon to remove the coalition from a blacklist of groups that kill children. Saudi Arabia allegedly threatened to withhold funding for refugees and the Mr Ban grudgingly gave in to their demands.

British and American military personnel are believed to be supporting the bombing campaign from a control room in Riyadh, the Saudi capital. 

Both the US and UK sell billions of dollars in weapons to Saudi Arabia and other Arab states each year. 

Hisham al-Omeisy, a political analyst, said the airstrike on Saturday took place at around 9.15am in the village of Juma'at Bin Fadel in the Sa'ada governorate in northwest Yemen.        

The area is far from the front lines of the fighting but is a power base for the Houthi rebels. 

"There's no active ground fighting near area attacked but Sa'ada is Houthi's home governorate and stronghold, and has been relentlessly and aerially bombarded by the Saudi-led coalition since the beginning of the war in March of 2015," Mr al-Omeisy said.

The Saudi Embassy in London could not be contacted for comment. 

A ceasefire was announced in April between the warring sides and led to a reduction in violence in Yemen. But UN-brokered peace talks in Kuwait collapsed last weekend and coalition aircraft have resumed intense bombing. 

Meanwhile, Yemen's parliament reconvened for the first time in nearly two years in an act of defiance against Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, the internationally-recognised president, and his Saudi backers. 

Of the parliament's 301 members, 26 have been killed in the civil war, according to Hakim Almasmari, editor of the Yemen Post News. 

Bombing continued nearby as the parliament convened in Sa'ana, the country's capital.

Courtesy Telegraph