SHANGLA - As many as 12 shops were gutted due to fire, erupted in a market in suburbs of Shangla on Friday.

Local police official Arif said that the fire caused by an electric short circuit erupted in a market located at College Road of Alpuri. The fire spread rapidly as mostly wood was used in the construction of the shops which also engulfed the surrounding area.

 Fire fighters reached the scene and brought the fire under control after hectic efforts of over three hours.

The fire completely burnt 12 shops, two motorcycles and six residential rooms rendering an estimated over Rs one million loss due to the incident.