ISLAMABAD - The dismissal of Dr. Tahirul Qadri’s petition challenging the legality of the Election Commission of Pakistan has also poured water on his, already in doldrums, agreement with the ruling coalition which had paved the way for calling off of the Minhajul Quran’s sit-in in the Federal Capital.

Sources in the Pakistan People’s Party said that they had entered into an agreement with Qadri only to secure the safe return of the innocent people, including good number of women and children, and the only solid commitment in the agreement was that both the sides would continue negotiations on bringing reforms in the electoral process.

Later, in the second round of talks with Qadri at his seminary in Lahore the government team had made it clear to Qadri that most of his demands could not be met while remaining with the parameters of the Constitution.

The government took the matter so casually that even the Federal Law Minister, one of the key persons in the negotiations, never attended the meeting at Minhajul Quran headquarters in Lahore, the matter pointed out and agitated by Tairul Qadri as well.

A senior party leader, who preferred not to be named, disclosed that PML-Q President Ch. Shujaat Hussain was instrumental in inking the agreement with Qadri and he was the person who had opposed the plan of forced removal of the protesting people from D-Chowk in Federal Capital. A night before the agreement Federal Interior Minister A. Rehman Malik was all prepared to use force against the protesters but it was the threat from Ch. Shujaat Hussain that in case of operation Q-League would immediately quit the government President Asif Ali Zardari was left with no choice but to bow to the demand of Q-League and finally it was decided to engage Qadri into dialogue, which finally paved the way for peaceful return of protesters.

Realising the non-serious attitude on part of the government team, which had flatly refused to accept the main demands of Qadri in utter disappointment he (Qadri) decided to move the apex court to get his demands met. An insider in PPP said that the suggestion to move the court was given to him by PML-Q President Ch. Shujaat Hussain.

The sources in the government confirmed that Qadri was very much disappointed over the cold shoulder given to him by the ruling alliance and he had moved the court and also announced the second phase of his programme to exert pressure on government to get his demands met. Political observers said that now after the dismissal of his petition by the apex court his second phase of protest would also lose significance and there is strong likelihood that he would abandon his plan to organise big public rallies in some half a dozen big cities in coming days.

It was in utter frustration after getting his petition dismissed from the apex court that he has given foul remarks against the judges apex court about which he was all praise particularly during his sit-in in Federal Capital he made his followers raise slogans in support of the Supreme Court of Pakistan.

Legal and constitutional experts are of the view that the foul language Qadri has used against the judges of the apex court falls in the contempt of court and the apex court could try him on this count.

Political observers commenting on this development said that the court verdict in the Qadri’s case has left him high and dry and all those forces of status quo who wanted to stall the upcoming elections on one pretext or the other.

The verdict has also removed mist of uncertainty on political horizon of the country and now the path to upcoming general elections is vivid and clear.