LIVERPOOL (AFP) - Nicol David, the Asian sportswoman of the year, on Monday won back the British Open title she lost in such an upsetting fashion last year. David triumphed 9-1, 10-8, 9-0 against Jenny Duncalf, the surprise finalist from England, making up for her defeat from match point up in last year's final. That was against Rachael Grinham, the World Open champion from Australia, who was this year halted by Duncalf. But there was no way David was going to allow the giant-killer a follow-up. The world number one from Malaysia was as superbly nimble as ever, and gave further evidence that she is developing into a better all round player, as she started and finished superbly. In between David had to save a game point, but that was the only crisis moment in a match which she mostly dominated. "This definitely meant a lot to me," she said after her 40-minute success in the world's oldest tournament. "When I lost last year it was a huge disappointment. I was devastated, and I set about trying to find out how to be stronger this time." She was, both physicaly and mentally. David began, as she had in both her previous two matches, a little slowly, but once she had gained the feel of the court and the conditions, started to play formidably well. She was also much more prepared to take the initiative than she has on occasions in the past, and from 4-1 in the first game, Duncalf began to experience the damage this could do. A forehand cut-off volley to reach 5-1 made a cross court drive by Duncalf look loose, and Nicol followed it with a couple of sharp forehand kills, a volley winner, and a sumptuous reverse angle to finish off the game. When the world number one advanced rapidly to 7-2 in the second game, it looked as though this would be another one-sided straight games win as several of her previous nine wins over Duncalf had been. But the match suddenly changed character at 7-2, when Duncalf produced a clever fast trickle which sent the ball off two walls for a winner in the front court. It seemed to convince the less experienced player that she could do well. For several minutes after that Duncalf produced a fluency and inventiveness she did not either before or afterwards. She won six rallies in a row and reached game ball at 8-7. David saved it after a long, patient rally in which a shot with a near-perfect line and length made it impossible for Duncalf to get any purchase on the ball. Duncalf then lost the next two points and the game with two mistimed shots which conceded penalty strokes, and the disappointment seemed to affect her. She served only twice in a love third game, as David once more showed that she has a much more dangerous array of strokes than she had possessed before. "After playing so many tournaments and so many finals, and with all the experiences, I have come back from the losses," she said, referring to the World Open as well as the British Open last year. But she felt it was too early to talk about winning the World Open back as well. "Now the girls are going to start seeking something else to play against me, so it could all be different by then," she said, referring to the October event. "You can see what I am trying to do, become a better all round player, and still try to be as consistent as possible. But for the moment I feel very happy to have won this back." David Palmer, the US-based Australian, won one of the most dramatic of men's finals when he saved a match point at 9-10 in the final game to win 11-9, 11-9, 8-11, 6-11, 13-11 against James Willstrop, the world number three from England. Palmer, whose preparation had been hampered by the move of his family to Boston six months ago, had felt he might not be fit enough to win the title a fourth time. But in a 112-minute encounter he somehow eked out his resources in an unpredictable final game which included great skills, countless long rallies, umpteen lets, and a final rally won by a wild mis-hit. But Palmer has always been a great fighter - he saved five match points in the 2006 World Open final and two in the 2002 world final - and again his strong character got him through. "I wasn't sure I could make it. I just wanted to test myself at this level again," said the 31-year-old. "But it sure feels great to have done it."