LAHORE – Unidentified men set a 35-year-old man on fire apparently after strangulating him at Quaid-e-Azam Industrial Estate Area, police said on Tuesday.

The police have recovered the charred dead body from a pile of garbage in Chand Mari ground, a locality said to be under the administrative control of security forces.

“The body is beyond recognition. Preliminary investigations indicate the killers threw the dead body on the pile of garbage and later burnt the waste in the open ground,” Station House Officer (SHO) Farooq Iftikhar said. The police believed that the killers also sprinkled petrol on the dead body before setting the garbage on fire.

Police investigators termed the killing as a blind murder and claimed that unidentified killers murdered the man somewhere else but fled away after setting him on fire in the precincts of Quaid-e-Azam Industrial Estate Area police. The police have removed the dead body to the morgue for an autopsy and are investigating with no arrest made so far.

The Punjab police, country’s largest law enforcing agency, have a very poor record of resolving blind murder cases. Every year, dozens of blind murder cases are left as unresolved mysteries because of inefficiency, lack of interest and poor training of the police investigators.

According to the police record, the police have failed to trace the accused involved in no less than 270 murder cases, reported this year so far across the province.

CONDEMNED: Jamaat-e-Islami Syed Munawar Hasan has condemned raid of Frontier Constabulary at the house of Balochistan National Party chief Talal Bugti, and harassment and arrest of his servants.

In a statement, he said that the situation in Balochistan was bad already and it would be advisable for the FC and secret agencies not to deteriorate the things by such actions. He said raid at Talal Bugti’s house and arrest of his employees was most condemnable and would infuriate the Baloch people further.