The rape victim, who on Tuesday set self ablaze in front of Muzaffargarh City Police station, succumbed to her burns in Nishtar Hospital.

Sonia Bibi, 20, daughter Muhammad Ramzan Dasti, a resident of Dastiwala committed self-immolation in protest against the police inaction and delay in legal action against three cops who allegedly raped her.

The police have registered a case No.441/15 against five persons including two policemen under section 302,376-(ii).

The police registered the case on the statement the victim's father against Shah Nawaz, son of Haq Nawaz, Sabir Hussain, son of Illahi Bakhsh, ASI Noor Hussain Dakna, Munir alias Moona and constable Abdul Qayyum. The police have also claimed to have arrested the ASI.

Rescue 1122 shifted the girl to DHQ Hospital where Dr Ijaz Hussain Shah said that the girl had sustained burns on 80 percent of her body. At which doctors at DHQ Hospital referred her to Nishtar Hospital Multan where she breathed her last after four hours.

According DPO Awais Malik, three teams have been constituted under the leadership of the DSP City for the arrest of the accused. The DPO also suspended the City Police SHO.

AGENCIES ADD: The woman doused herself with petrol and set self on fire outside Muzaffargarh City police station in protest against "non-provision of justice in a rape case," doctors at the DHQ hospital quoted the victim as saying.

Doctors at Nishtar Hospital said that they could not save her life despite efforts because she had suffered severe burns over 80 percent of her body.

DPO Muzaffargarh Owais Ahmed said that the woman was a police informer and had helped the CIA police apprehend a number of wanted criminals.

"In her statement to the doctor today she claimed that she was raped by Assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Noor and a constable Abdul Qayyum but there is no FIR of the incident registered in any police station of the district."

Earlier on Sunday, the woman had reached compromise with two police constables - Munna and Abdul Qayyum - in a robbery case. She had stated in an FIR that she was beaten and robbed of her valuables by the two constables but later reached a compromise and withdrew the case, claimed the Muzaffargarh DPO. Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident and has sought a detailed report from the DPO immediately.