LAHORE  - A university student yesterday was killed and his friend wounded critically in a brazen gun-attack in Nawab Town.

The shooting took place near Ali Park where both the friends were ambushed by gunmen, not identified yet.

Investigators identified the victims as Aziz Khan, 24, and Imran, 25.

According to police, Aziz Khan succumbed to wounds on the spot while Imran was admitted to the Jinnah Hospital. His condition was said to be out of danger.

“One of the boys was shot multiple times in the belly and expired instantly. The other was admitted to hospital with injuries under his right shoulder,” a police officer said.

Detectives have detained a suspect in connection with the shooting and are investigating. The suspect named as Amjad has denied his involvement in the killing during initial investigations, an investigator said.

Aziz and his friend Imran riding on a motorcycle were going back to hostel from the university when they were ambushed by gunmen.

An official said the police have notified the victims’ families. The body was moved to the morgue for autopsy.

Khan, a BSc student at a private university, is said to be the resident Deer, KPK province. He was residing in Ghousia Hostel, located in Ali Town. The police are investigating the gun attack but are yet to ascertain the motives behind the assault.

Killers’ of seven-year-old confessed to crime: Police have arrested two men who investigators say were behind the brutal killing of a seven-year-old boy.

Police officer Faisal Mukhtar while addressing a news conference at his office yesterday told reporters that the accused confessed to the police they had killed the boy after a failed sexual assault.

The accused are identified as Kazim and Zubair. They are on physical remand in police custody.

According to Civil Lines SP (Investigations), the accused killed the boy who fought back the sodomy attempt. The alleged killers were familiar with the victim - later identified as Muhammad Rizwan.

“Kazim and Zubair have confessed (to the investigators) that they had strangled the boy, fearing that he would disclose their names to his family,” Mukhtar said.

Police discovered Rizwan’s body from the canal in Hanjarwal police precincts several days ago. A murder case was later registered with the Race Course police station against unidentified men on the complaint father of the boy. Investigation is still underway.