ISLAMABAD - Taking a different stance on police crackdown against workers of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT), the government said Saturday that only those activists had been arrested who had attacked state property including PTV and Parliament House, last week.

As the PTI and PAT leadership spoke loud against the capital police for arresting their hundreds of workers, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan presented a different picture at a press conference at the Punjab House denying that police had not launched any crackdown.

"Neither any crackdown has been ordered nor being contemplated," he said.

The minister also hoped that arrests of PTI and PAT workers in connection with attack on PTV headquarters would not halt the on-going talks process with both the protesting parties as both had distanced themselves from attacking the PTV building from the very first day. He said after his explanation there should not be a suspension in talks.

He, however, said in clear words that those who had attacked state property would be brought to justice at any cost and remarked that the state institution would not let the protesting parties to impose their own solution of the crisis other than solution carved out from talks.

He alleged that the protesting parties wanted some dead bodies to aggravate the situation and the government was showing tolerance from the very first day.

"Hundreds of people last week attacked PTV building and the camera eye captured the whole episode and from the last many days the case was being investigated technically through NADRA to identify the culprits," Ch Nisar said, adding, that 20 people had been identified in the incident and seven had been arrested.

Nisar, however, avoided giving answer that the workers of protesting parties presented before the local court had been arrested under Section 144 PPC and not on charges of attack on PTV headquarters.

He said some of the accused had been arrested while coming out of the sit-in, some form Punjab and other areas.

He expressed his resolve that the government would reach out to every culprit, as it was an attack on the state institutions and not on the government. "The protesters snatched eight precious cameras of worth million of rupees," he said adding others had been arrested for their involvement on Parliament building.

"PTI and PAT should not object to the arrest as within 24 hours after the incident both had responded that they were not involved in the attack," he said. He informed that a committee under the supervision of additional secretary of the ministry of interior had been formed to point out real culprits in the attack and both the protesting parties should contact it to point out any wrong arrest in this connection.

Showing the photographs of various incidents of violence by the protesters on police and setting on fire police vehicles on Bhera Motorway Interchange, Nisar said the protesting parties had got illegal electricity connection from the main line and they had damaged the main water pipe line to use water at the venue. "Separate cases had been registered against these illegal acts," he said.

Nisar questioned how the protesting parties could claim themselves peaceful in the wake of the inhuman violence on police and having gas masks and slings.

“We had information that some people were armed inside the sit-ins.”

“The police, the other day, arrested 11 persons having 12 bore rifles without licences and they claimed themselves the employee of a private security company," he said, adding, that no private company had so far come to rescue them. He denied claim of Dr Tahirul Qadri that his bodyguards having valid arms licences had been picked up by the police.

Explaining the imposition of pillion-riding ban in the twin cities, he said decision was taken after a security alert that some terrorists had started moving towards Islamabad. "We have moved bomb disposal squad and the checking of vehicle had been enhanced," he said .He said army personnel had been included in the bomb disposal squad but the other day evening a personnel of Special Branch was severely subjected to violence by the protesters.

About the use of police violence on media persons, he said a committee had been formed and the issue would be investigated at any cost. Responding a question, he said it would be unfair to ask army to clear the Constitution Avenue from the protesters as police had the capacity to do this.

"No matter how unconstitutional and undemocratic these marches are, the aim of the government has been to protect citizens," he added. The minister regretted that women and children were being made a tool to fulfill the political ambitions of PTI and PAT leaders.