LAHORE Five people were injured while merchandise worth millions of rupees reduced to ashes after fire broke out in a multi-storey commercial building Bhindara Centre housing some 100 garment shops in Ichhra police limits on Wednesday. No casualty was reported even though the basement, ground and first floors of the building were completely destroyed in the fire. Eyewitnesses said that the fire broke out at about 3:00pm at a cloth stall located in the corner of the ground floor of the centre and in a few minutes it spread to the entire floor, basement as well as the first floor. Officials of the Fire Brigade and Rescue 1122 reached the spot and started extinguishing the fire. Shopkeepers and locals also participated in the rescue operation. Ambulances also reached the spot and shifted the injured and unconscious persons to the Services Hospital. After hectic efforts the fire brigade put out the fire. The shopkeepers said that the fire engulfed some 24 shops by the time the firefighters arrived. The rescuers could not reach the site instantly as the City District Government had permanently blocked the road in front of the centre, and they had to take a long route to reach the site, Bhindara Centre Chairman Haji Riaz Ahmed said. A rescuer said that they were late as there was no direct way to reach the centre. We had to take a long route from Shah Jamal and Shama Chowk as we could not ply on Ferozepur Road, he added. The exact reason for the fire could not be discovered. Eyewitnesses, however, maintained that short-circuiting at a cloth stall resulted in fire eruption.