KARACHI – An uncertain sigh of relief was prevailed in Lyari on Saturday after daylong deadly gun battle between police and the armed gangsters on Friday that killed at least four people and left several injured.

Though random and scattered firing, arson and cracker attacks kept the life routine suspended and residents to stay indoors in the city’s oldest neighbourhood, officials said.

In the wee hours of Saturday, a young man was shot dead near Dhobi Ghaat area. Though the police did not find accurate reasons behind the killing, the investigators suspected the victim Rustam Ali fell prey to ongoing wave of violence in the area.

The dawn brings the scenery of tyres burning on roads amid sounds of heavy gunfire that kept the markets closed and forced residents to stay at homes. Life remained completely suspended with all markets closed and no transport on road in several Lyari areas that included Bihar Colony, Lee Market, Dubai Chowk, Kamela Stop and Aath Chowk.

The firing left a 12-year-old boy Hassan Ahmed injured who was released by the Civil Hospital Karachi after due treatment. The situation turned little violent in the areas which fell under Trans-Lyari. In Old Golimar, a cracker attack left two men injured and in Soldier Bazaar firing claimed life of a suspected criminal.

“As we gathered facts from the area people, some armed men on motorbikes attempted to intercept a bus in the first half the day in Old Golimar area,” said DSP Rustam Khattak, the area’s sub-divisional police officer (SDPO). “However, the bus driver increased the speed of the bus. The armed riders chased him but in vain. Then they fired a cracker which caused minor injuries to two people. We believe that the incident was part of Friday’s Lyari violence.”

In Soldier Bazaar, the police said, the armed men on motorbikes fired shots randomly near busy Chandni Chowk area apparently forcing traders to pull down their shutters. However, in the process, their own aide suffered a bullet wound and later died in the hospital.

“The victim has been identified as 30-year-old Moosa son of Abdul Rasheed,” said DSP Qaiser Ali Shah, the area’s SDPO. “He was part of the armed men group, who fired shots and caused harassment among the traders. He was hit by the bullets of his own aides and died.”

Life returned to normalcy in parts of Lyari later in the second half of the day and by the evening the situation turned much better. The area police said they the FIRs of the Friday’s had not been registered yet.

“The victims’ families have not yet contacted the police. Similarly, the police are busy collecting details to ascertain the people behind the yesterday’s attacks before finally booking them in the FIRs,” said a police official.

DIG Zone South Commander Shaukat said that on Saturday over all situation of Lyari were under control, adding that in few places angry people staged protest and unidentified armed men restored aerial firing but due to deployment of heavy contingents of police no big incident reported in Lyari locality.

He said police would nominate Lyari gangsters who were involved in police attacks and responsible for the murders of innocent people of Lyari during violence on Friday.