LIVERPOOL (England) (AFP) Andrey Arshavin breathed fresh life into Arsenals quest to win the English Premier League title and left Liverpool facing a battle to finish in the top four as the Gunners won 2-1 here Sunday. Arsenal fell behind to Dirk Kuyts goal shortly before half-time but levelled soon after the break through a Glen Johnson own-goal. Russia international Arshavin, who scored four goals in last seasons 4-4 draw at Anfield, then produced a sublime moment of skill to complete Arsenals fightback with a slickly-taken, forceful shot, just before the hour mark. Victory saw Arsenal regain third place and move to within six points of leaders Chelsea, held to a draw by Everton on Saturday and three of second-placed champions Manchester United, beaten by Aston Villa on Saturday, with a game in hand over the top two. By contrast, defeat left Liverpool five points adrift of the top four finish they will need to bring Champions League football back to Anfield next season. There was little between the two teams in a scrappy opening to the game but Liverpool should have taken the lead with 11 minutes on the clock. Steven Gerrard raced into space down the right and timed his cross perfectly for Fernando Torres but the striker shot disappointingly straight at Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia. Almost immediately Liverpools star men combined again with Torres slipping Gerrard through and the Reds captain going down under a challenge from William Gallas with the home players appealing for a penalty. Arsenals first real threat came with a free-kick swung in by Cesc Fabregas but Thomas Vermaelen could only head over from around eight yards out. Liverpool continued to enjoy the ascendency and after Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunias desperate punch to clear Gerrards free kick, Johnsons follow-up was deflected wide. And just before the half hour Kuyt burst into the area from Johnsons quick throw and squared for Gerrard, whose drive at goal was blocked by Alex Song. Arsenal looked dangerous on the break without ever creating good chances and Denilsons lofted effort from 25 yards, easily held by Pepe Reina, was an indication of their frustration. And in the 41st minute Liverpool took the lead through Kuyt. Almunia failed to deal with Fabio Aurelios clipped free-kick into the area, only palming the ball away, and Dutch international Kuyt rolled the ball into an empty net for his sixth goal of the season. But five minutes into the second-half Samir Nasris deflected cross eventually rebounded off Johnson and into the Liverpool net. Torres looked for an immediate response but he was thwarted by Almunia after a powerful run into the box. And in the 58th minute, Arsenal moved in front thanks to another Anfield goal from Arshavin. Johnson hesitated and failed to deal with Fabregass lob into the area and Arshavin was first to react and hit a first-time shot that flew in off the post with Reina rooted to the spot. Liverpool rallied and Kuyts whipped cross from the right was steered just wide of goal by Torres. But Arshavin threatened once again with a 20-yard drive that Reina held at his near post. And despite some concerted pressure, Liverpool never looked like finding an equaliser and slipped to a sixth league defeat of the season. Meanwhile, Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas said a furious half-time outburst from Gunners manager Arsene Wenger inspired them to come from behind and beat Liverpool 2-1 in the Premier League. Sundays match here at Anfield went the way of the home side in the first half and Liverpool were rewarded when Dirk Kuyts goal four minutes before half-time gave them the lead. But the north Londoners hit back after the break thanks to a Glen Johnson own goal before Andrey Arshavins sublime strike just short of the hour sealed a victory that saw Arsenal regain third spot and move to within three points of second-placed champions Manchester United with a game in hand. On a day when Liverpool were celebrating the 50th anniversary of legendary manager Bill Shanklys arrival at Anfield, Fabregas said hed never seen Wenger as angry as the Frenchman was at the interval. The boss screamed. Ive never seen him like that before, Fabregas told Sky Sports. He was really disappointed in the first half and said we didnt deserve to wear the Arsenal shirt if we played like that. And I think he was right, the Spain international added. In the second half we turned it round. But a cautious Fabregas added Wenger revealed he had been angry at half-time but refused to say precisely what he had told his players. It was just to make them conscious (that) the commitment of Liverpool was bigger. I think the first half, we were quite happy with 1-0 - it could have been two and the game could have been over. I dont put it down to a lack of desire - there was a fear to lose a big game. You could see that in the first half. It showed the team can respond and they are proud. Defeat left Liverpool, who started the season with hopes of winning a first English title since 1990, five points adrift of the top-four finish they will need to bring Champions League football back to Anfield next term having already crashed out of this seasons competition. The own goal changed everything, the confidence changed and we started to make mistakes, said under-fire Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez. The first half was really good and we were very pleased. The second changed and they were playing with more confidence and we played with less. Top four is the same target, its a long way but we need to keep going.