KARACHI - A bank officer was shot dead in broad daylight in District Central on Wednesday.

56-year-old Aijaz Aslam, son of Muhammad Aslam Khan, was critically wounded when he was shot by armed motorcyclists outside his residence in Shadman Town within Shahrah-e-Noor Jahan police remits.

He was immediately taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

A police officer said that the deceased was assistant vice president of a local bank, located in Bahadurabad.

The officer said it was when the deceased was getting inside his car to go to the office when armed motorcyclists opened fire at him.

Quoting the victim’s son, the officer said that his father had no enmity with anyone, and even he had no affiliation with any religious or political party.

DSP Muhammad Shaukat said that motive behind the incident was yet to be ascertained, adding that the incident could have been the result of offering resistance to a robbery bid.

“However, police is investigating the case from different angles,” he added.

Case has been registered against unidentified persons.

 Minor girl commits suicide

Meanwhile, a minor girl hanged herself to death at her home located in the outskirts of the city on Wednesday.

A nine-year-old girl committed suicide by hanging herself with a ceiling fan at her house in a slum area of Korangi.

On being informed, police rushed to the spot, collected the evidence, and also recorded the statements of her siblings.

Body of the girl was handed over to her parents after autopsy at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre.

Korangi SHO Ghulam Ali Lakho, while disclosing the initial investigations, said that the deceased’s father, a retired employee of the State Bank, was playing with his children when he picked fight with them.

The officer said that the girl suddenly went to her room, and ended her life with the help of a ‘dupatta’.

“The family found her body hanging in the room when it managed to get inside after breaking the door’s lock, as she had not responded when her parents and siblings knocked at the door multiple times,” he added.

“Her family has disclosed to us that she would frequently lock herself in the room after every scuffle with siblings while playing, but they had no idea that she would go to such an extent,” the officer elaborated.

He said that the initial investigation suggested that the girl had committed suicide.