Rawalpindi - A 14-year-old mentally retarded girl was burnt to death when her clothes caught fire while she was sitting in front of a gas heater here at Mohalla Rahimabad on Wednesday.

The Rescue 1122 was called in which extinguished fire that also burnt the room where the victim was sitting. The Rescue 1122 shifted the dead body to hospital.

According to Rescue 1122, the name of the girl was Maria who was told to be mentally retarded.

Similarly, a huge fire also engulfed the fourth floor of Chine Square Plaza on DAV College Road reducing the stuff stored by traders in shops into ashes. Rescue 1122 and fire brigade while responding emergency call arrived and showered water on flames. No injury or casualty was reported. A fire incident was also reported in Bakra Mandi. According to Rescue 1122, fire caught a double-storey house located in street number 10, Mohalla Shah Khalid. A rescuer told The Nation that the double-storey building was being used for commercial purpose and candles were being made there. The reason of fire could not be ascertained immediately. Another rescuer told media that the fire incident took place owing to negligence of workers.