LAHORE - Investigators are yet to ascertain how a young woman was burnt to death at her parents’ house in the limits of Factory Area police station almost a week ago.

Police yesterday arrested a brother of the victim while her mother was already in police custody. Both the suspects were being interrogated in connection with the gruesome killing.

Seventeen-year-old Zeenat Rafique was found burnt to death at her parents’ house, just a week after she married to a man of her own choice and against the will of her family.

Police investigators say the burnt body of the 17-year-old woman was lying in the stairs as they reached the spot. Her mother Parveen Bibi and brother Anees Ahmed were arrested and being interrogated by police in connection the killing.

According to the autopsy report, the girl was burnt alive and she died of suffocation after her throat was filled with smoke. There were no torture marks on her body parts and the girl was not poisoned. The autopsy report was yet to established motives the behind the killing.

Her brother Anees yesterday denied murder allegations. He told investigators that his sister was lying dead on the stairs when he entered the house on the day of incident. Earlier, the victim’s mother admitted to the police that she had set her daughter on fire for brining bad name to the family.

Sources close to the investigators said that it was not possible for the physically-week woman to kill her young daughter without the support of any other family member. The crime scene suggests the girl did not offer resistance when she was set afire. Police are investigating the death keeping in view different aspects of the happening.

Earlier, the victim’s mother rejected the murder allegations saying that Zeenat took her own life by setting herself on fire. She claimed that her daughter took the extreme step when the family members refused to accept her marriage with Hassan. However, a police investigator claimed that Parveen and other family members had confessed to the crime and that the police had also seized kerosene oil from the scene.

Zeenat had eloped with Hassan and the couple contracted love-marriage before a local court on May 29.

The girl was sent back home on the intervention of elders of both the families on June 3. Her husband told reporters that he had agreed to send his wife to her parents’ home under duress. “I was given guarantee that nobody will touch her, while a formal wedding reception was scheduled for Thursday,” said Hassan with sobbing eyes.